Tuesday, October 11, 2022

       The one boat that we launched today had plenty of crab action on their halibut bait but no takers with scales. Nonetheless, I had an hour of light after work and gave it a try. After hurriedly getting the boat and gear and running down to McClure's, I discovered that the tube on my Bigfoot Baits jig had split on the head. I also had not packed my spare jigs or tubes. So, I jigged my broken one. It still darted on the up and fell slower on the drop. Five minutes later, I saw something on the meter, and a minute later.... 

    .... a nineteen pounder was on the deck. I drove the boat back out to where I hooked up, but after fifteen minutes of jigging the even more damaged tube I decided to leave and reeled up, putting the rod away. I glanced at the meter and saw another line on the meter. I grabbed the rod and cast a little behind the the boat. Jig, jig, bam....
    .... a fifteen pounder. And the tube was gone. After catching only eight halibut. Warranty! Do I know that the lines on the meter were halibut? Nope. I saw something and something bit. Twice. Whether the something I saw was the something I caught can't be proven. But if I see lines on the meter again, I'm throwing a jig at it. 
    


3 comments:

oldtimer said...

A very rewarding last minute trip. What else might the lines be?

Tilly said...

Cool story, a lot of the fresh water professional bass tournament guys pretty much fish all day staring at their sonar screens while working jigs off bottom structure too

Swampy said...

Nice jigging! May have to change up my bait of choice.