Sunday, January 23, 2022

     The crabbing in the bay has been pretty slow. Pretty much everybody I talk to has caught zero to six keeper Dungeness with most people towards the zero end of that scale. Even Tim Woerner, our resident crab whisperer, caught only one keeper during four hours of trying near Marker 5 last week. But then Gage told me a few of the guys he talked to did pretty well and one boat limited out. I guess I should stop talking to people. Maybe they'll catch more. Here's a report from Kyle Maclachlan, someone I didn't talk to:



   "Morning Willy thought it would be fun to report on our day trip yesterday. Jersey John and I launched at your beach and worked the crab gear from about 7am-12. We had about 3 really nice heavy pulls that boosted our numbers. We managed to stay in the dungies really well throughout the morning, still throwing back lots of shorts and big females, we also got a few gauge busters also. And we didn't have to go to far when we got our final count for full limits for 2, we could still see the boat house easily so that's a bonus." Very nice job, Kyle and John. You're going to give a lot of people false hope. "Your results may vary." 
     I was also going to report that there isn't anything happening here except the crabbing, but then our Tim went out to pull his traps in the Outer Bay (limits there) and stopped for a couple of drifts on the bar to try to catch a sand sole or two. His frozen anchovies, in not much warmer water, caught two sand sole and a 23" halibut. He had several other bites that didn't stick. Is it halibut time? No. But, hey, "your results may vary."
    So we had a tsunami on the 15th.  It turned out to be the perfect size here, big enough to see it but not big enough to hurt anything. I'm afraid that by the time I noticed my texted warning to clear the beach (Received on my phone at 7:40 AM. Noticed by me at about 10:00 AM. Don't text me something urgent.) the largest waves had come and gone. We notified people on the beach at 7:00 but after seeing that the waves had peaked at about 20 inches in Hawaii we didn't evacuate. Here is a time-lapse of the tsunami:




   And finally, most importantly, Gage caught a steelhead on the Eel and I lost mine.




2 comments:

Richard said...

Omg, did Gage get new pants! I was going to start a go fund page for him but I guess we’re good for a few years:) beautiful steelhead��

Fish slayer said...

Good job on the crab Kyle!The music for the video is great lol 😆 nice fish gage ,super crome and bet yours was way bigger willy!