Saturday, January 1, 2022

    Cameron sent me a report from the launch today: "Had a catch today. Didn't catch his name, but his boat had a sticker about "Captain Halibut" on YouTube. Picked up this one "out front where he told Gage about" on bag anchovies and missed another couple bites. 49 degree water." Yes, Virginia, they do exist. And it's not that halibut don't bite in cold water, it's just that they only probably won't. Not for me, at least, but apparently they will for Captain Halibut. As for location, I'm afraid that I'm not included in Gage and the Captain's conversations, but I can assume that if he was "out front" then he wasn't inside the bay, and since the few halibut that do get caught in cold water are usually caught on dead bait and in 40 to 70 feet of water, I'd guess the Captain was drifting in the outer bay not too far from the mouth of Tomales Bay. Good job, Captain. 

    The local news has had a few pieces on about the "king tides" going on right now. As they say, we are seeing some of the highest tides of the year. What they don't typically also mention is the very low tide following the high. The nearly eight and a half foot difference between the two makes for a ripping outgoing tide that is literally burying crab pots in the channel that aren't otherwise dragged out to sea. DON'T CRAB IN THE CHANNEL RIGHT NOW. Give it a few days for the "kings" to subside. You'll be happier if you do. If you do go, just another word of advise: Lawson's Landing sells replacement gear.
 

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Took me 10 crab pots before I quit setting them in bay near mouth. Took them into channel buried pot could not pull out of sand. Never lost one in 20 years prior to these. I thought someone stole them until I bought new ones and set the next day and all were gone again.

Tomales Outlaw said...

We saw a few boats looking for their pots yesterday just 1 hour after the tide change. We had all ours on back on board by then. We worked from Marker 5 to the Sand Point and so did a couple sea lions. Our zip tied bait cages were pried open, pots dumped upside down, and other general mayhem. We managed enough good Dungeness for dinner, but just.

Outlaw

ChefSAcosta said...

Are there Holdover Stripers in the bay?

Willy said...

There's always a few stripers in the bay. Catching them, though... I saw quite a few arcs on the meter in the deep holes around the schools of herring and anchovies but 10 minutes of jigging didn't catch me one and I left.

ChefSAcosta said...

Are there Holdover Stripers in the bay?

ChefSAcosta said...

Thanks!!!