Saturday, October 9, 2021

   Sorry, I got an invite to go fish the Trinity in a drift boat with guys that know what they're doing (my opposites) and I went for it. I missed some reporting as a result. It was good, though. I'd put up more pictures but my expressions are all weird as I'm concentrating so hard on holding the damn fish correctly (it doesn't matter when you kill and eat them) I look like a fool. So, not for you. But, I did catch a chinook, a coho and a steelhead each day, plus a few more. I caught so many coho I thought I was salmon fishing in June off of the Head. Thanks for the trip, Scott and Chris.

   Here's one of those salmon you can keep. "Roger Harker from Minden Nevada with a 20 lb salmon just south of keyholes in 70 ft 1 lb ball 40 pulls on a brads cut plug" This was from Tuesday. They were still there then. Are they still out there today?
   Richard James says they are. Or, they were. "Hi Willy

Caught today in the ocean.

Had one other scratched bait. Caught this 15 minutes before we had to leave. If one is only going to catch one fish, may as well be the biggest fish you’ve ever caught. " He sent me another email confirming the weight at 33 pounds. It only takes one like that. It ain't wide open, but there's still salmon to be caught out there. I think they may be dragging their proverbial feet on their way to the river. Whatever. There was a 28 pound salmon caught in 80 feet of water at McClure's today (along with three fish lost for one boat) and a number of boats fishing (and some catching) at Abbott's Lagoon. I heard that Mike Mack and crew caught at least one on the beach. 

      Yes, Gage wants me to tell you that there's still halibut out there. He took Amanda out for another salmon on Tuesday and followed it up with Amanda showing him how to jig halibut on the bar. Gage took notes. The salmon came from just below Keyhoe Beach on a straight bait. The wind shifted things around a bit this week but there's still some bait and salmon. Will it last? I'll tell you later.









2 comments:

rokefin said...

No apologies needed Willy -you always get a hall pass.
Happy for you that you got up north and got into some good river action.
Crazy salmon year we had, this season is definitely winding down but if the wind shuts off I would really love to hear another salmon report.

rokefin said...

No apologies needed Willy -you always get a hall pass.
Happy for you that you got up north and got into some good river action.
Crazy salmon year we had, this season is definitely winding down but if the wind shuts off I would really love to hear another salmon report.