Tuesday, April 27, 2021

     Cameron wrote that last post while I was away. He didn't get it posted but I saw it on the computer this morning and hit publish. The final part of the tuna story is that, yes, Gage caught all the fish. In three days of fishing we boated one bluefin and lost three others, one at the rail (sorry, Eddie). Sometimes the fish don't bite. Captain Aliyar worked hard to try to find the fish but they wouldn't come out and play. I learned many things about fishing on this trip. The most interesting thing was when I started sizing up the fishermen, looking to see who was the guy with the least experience. There's always that one guy that doesn't know what he's doing that gets in the way and tangles everyone else. I'm looking at these guys and can't figure it out. Then I realize, crap, it's me. For the record, my tangles were few and minor and never cost anyone a fish. I did snag a kelp paddy and holler "Fresh one!" like a complete jackass, so, there you go. 

     CDFW released the final rules on salmon season, and in the San Francisco region (Pigeon Point to Point Arena) we officially open on June 26 and end on October 31. The minimum size is 20". At least by that time of year the fish should be getting closer to shore. 

2 comments:

Nancy Vogler said...

Sorry, Willy! The Fish Gods weren’t smiling at you this week. Your dad caught four Blackfin on Monday, but they paled in size next to the Gage Man’s.

rokefin said...

Love your humility Willy....real nice Gage got one on the deck.

Should be a decent opener with peeps lined up to go if the conditions allow June 26.

20 inches all season? I would not have a problem with a 24 inch minimum (until I caught one 23 15/16)