Friday, April 2, 2021

     Crab results from our unscientific tester ran 0 for the three Abbott's pots and 20 from the three pots in the Outer Bay. Other crabber's results there weren't as good. One fellow had 11 crab for seven pots in the Outer Bay today. Not bad, but not what he'd come to expect from the length of soak, either. Pirates, maybe, but the last pirates made his nose look funny and today it looked okay, so I don't know. Unscientific tester did have a good rockfish day again in 220 feet of water.

      The water was still wicked frigid yesterday and only 50º F when I launched at low tide. The warm weather should have an effect on the water further back and further in. Very soon we should see some halibut victory shots. I'm hoping for tomorrow, as a few very talented fishermen are giving it a shot. There are a few sardines in the bay mixed with the jacksmelt which could make live bait time very interesting. Well, if nothing else it should make catching live bait more entertaining.

      I will leave you with a couple of quotes that pissed me off when I first read them but have come to haunt me as their truthiness seeped in to my brain. I was once a member of the "North American Fishing Club" and received their magazine. Two articles written by, I think, Larry Dahlberg included the lines, "the fish are where they are, not where you think they are", and, "when trolling, the only one fishing is the guy driving the boat." The first line seemed stupid. Duh. The second line seemed wrong to a guy that was riding in the trolled boat. But as I've gained experience I've learned that the duh is on me. A lot of successful fishing is obvious but we can't see it through the lens of our egos. Here's a Willy quote for you that's blatantly obvious to all that read it but will not be followed by most (or even me a lot of the time)"Fish where the fish are." Link that with the first Dahlberg quote and follow it and you could be one of those very few guys that kill it on a regular basis. One of my many problems is that I keep fishing where I expect the fish to be (due to my vast knowledge and experience. Phhttthhh). Often, the fish don't realize where they're supposed to be. Stupid fish. Retraining the fish is probably slightly harder than getting me to maintain on open mind, so I'm working on the mind thing. I recommend the latter for yourself. The killers out there are thinking more like fish than like fishermen. 

1 comment:

Harvest Time said...

I always blame my poor crabbing results on pirates. I mean, what else could it be?