Sunday, March 15, 2020





    Finally, a fishing report :"Took these ladies fishing for their first surf fishing trip and they definitely had the luck on their side" Gage and company were not the only ones catching out there. These fish were caught near the top of the tide in the afternoon but Gage talked to some other fishermen that had 3/4 limits earlier in the incoming. As usual, the Berkley Gulp! sandworm in camo color was the fish's choice.
    Friday Tim Woerner had a bit of excitement on his way in from crabbing in the Outer Bay. Just as he was getting to the dangerous part of the breaker line on the bar he ran over a floating crab rope. It killed his motor but luckily the wind and tide carried him away from doom instead of toward it. He was able to clear the line from his wheel and come in safely but, "That was the closest I've come to dying on the bar," in a long time. Then I told him that I had gone shopping at Costco Thursday evening and he told me, "You win."
    I'd like to add a little perspective to the last report about the human remains in a crab pot. Jumpers from the Golden Gate Bridge and Bodega Head have washed up on Ten Mile Beach before. It is conceivable that an intact body made its way by current and wind to the Ten Mile area before coming apart (as Yeats said, "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold"). Those currents can move rocks around on the bottom (as mentioned in the comments, chunks of coal have been caught in crab pots). Human bones are equally or less dense than bituminous coal so therefore they should travel even easier. My two takeaways: 
    1. The simplest answer usually being the correct one, it was probably a suicide.
    2. If you're going to dispose of a body at sea, don't do it during commercial Dungeness season.

13 comments:

Harvest Time said...

Girl power! (and Gauge power)

Here's an unrelated question, does anyone eat the whelks (snails) that show up in the crab pots sometimes?

Willy said...

Yes. I've not tried them but I hear they're good.

Wrybread said...

@Harvest Time: yes we certainly do. And they show up in lots of other places too. They benefit from a marinade (soaking), which is outside my pay grade, but my girlfriend is a master of it. Email me, wrybread@gmail.com and we'll share what we know. And if you want to sound fancy, call them "biganos"

I should also mention that it's possible that I'm talking about something completely different than you are. But if it's the same thing, they're downright tasty.

https://www.google.com/search?q=plateau+de+fruit+de+mer+biganos&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS887US887&sxsrf=ALeKk03tFim-zlNxLwzvHO9uKwB5CSsvcA:1584332355904&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjFlp76kZ7oAhWbmXIEHdInA9wQ_AUoAXoECAsQAw

-Shrimp Boat

oldtimer said...

Gage with a bait caster?? And a worm longer than the fish.

BIG"D" said...

So willy, did you mention to any body that crabs aren't worth dying for or even say that directly to the big guy himself. I bet not!

oldtimer said...

I just realized that Gage is wearing a fine classic..... Alaska's... Homer Spit's "Salty Dawg" (Saloon) Hoodie.

I believe the Homer "Spit" is a landing where many time big halibut are weighed in (I once caught a Barren Island 152 lbs one there maybe 45 years ago). I believe Kachemak Bay waters around Homer is where Commercial crabbers wiped out the dungies and that's also the side of the Kenai Peninsula where once tons of razor clams were harvested and now that season is closed. Is that great management by the STATE of AK or environmental changes???

Willy said...

Tim knows. Others should know my policy on crab feeding (I'm against it). Tim says it's a calculated risk. At this point I'd say his calculations are pretty good. Tim still has better odds across the bar than you do driving here.

Harvest Time said...

Hi Willy, re your Feb 26 report, do you have any fresh news on the crabs? Thanks!

JRS said...

I had to double check and make sure my Carhartts weren’t missing, Gauge has good taste.

Tomales Outlaw said...

Willy were have reservations and are planning to shelter in place in our trailer on the seawall April 2-6 will the CG be open?

Outlaw

BIG"D" said...

I'll be there soon for those same crab. Let the big guy know. Crabkiller. P.s. never been in an accident and have traveled same roads and waters thousands of times. Your policy should stay just that, but just because who you are doesnt mean you don't sound like any other opinion.

Willy said...

The crabbing ain't great. The outer bay is decent in spots but inside the bay is pretty slow.

Willy said...

The campground is open as long as everyone keeps their "social distance".