Tuesday, July 23, 2019

    These salmon came from out deeper but...

   ...it looks to me like these salmon came from closer to shore. The larger salmon weighed 20 pounds and the two larger halibut weighed 20 and 24 pounds. Nobody else did even half as well (Gage tried pretty hard) so I'm not calling the salmon "on the beach" officially, but I'll guess these were scouts for the rest of the school. Soon....What will we do while we wait?

    How about catch white seabass? Nancy Raggio sent in this photo and story from yesterday:"A fishing day to remember-
Here is the 40 inch white sea bass I caught yesterday in the bay! People say that catching a white sea bass is kind of rare here, so I feel extremely fortunate. I'm curious how many of this size are caught in our area?
Could not have landed it without my son Noah manning the net! 
Tore off at least 50 feet of line 3 times urgently trying to get back to the ocean.
Had no idea what it was but Noah just released a huge ray so as i was fighting it we compared  the action to that 15 minute fight - and it was similar but the ray did not race away fast toward the ocean and the surface like this big fish did! 
In between the runs I was able to gain on it pumping and reeling. 
She weighed in at a little under 20 pounds and bit on a dead fresh smelt.
I've caught salmon all my life,and they're always a thrill,  but this powerhouse fish beat them all as far as fighting fun.
We also both also limited on halibut...by the way. A day we will never forget!
Nancy Raggio"
   Nice job Nancy (and Noah). Don't catch the WSB bug (although it sounds like it may be too late for you). We're a little far North for consistent seabass catching, although I did hear a forecast calling for a return of The Blob, the warm water anomaly that screwed up our weather, abalone and crabbing a few years back but did gift us with WSB and bluefin. I mostly hope it doesn't happen but the devil on my shoulder keeps whispering "seabass..." 
    Also, there's halibut and stripers on the bar.

3 comments:

rokefin said...


Nice fish there - all of them!

Great to see a photo with the WSB report, a pic just makes it more believable:)

I was fortunate to catch a big WSB a couple years back, yes they are fun! And they will peel line like crazy....they are short on stamina but are brutes on power surges and when hooked they GO!!!!!

Harvest Time said...

The whispered list goes on...*seabass, cuda, YTs, dodos, alberts*

Willy Vogler said...

I cropped the heck out of that photo.