Saturday, July 6, 2019

    I'm told that the only thing better than a striper is two stripers. I wouldn't know firsthand but a guy I know does. The second fish bit while the first was still in the landing net. How's that for a quick limit.

    Not wanting to stick to one kind of fish, these gents caught one of each back by Hog.

    Travis Barton and his fishing associate picked up three halibut yesterday after giving the salmon a try in the morning. The salmon didn't bite for them but the flatfish made up for it. I heard that Travis may have caught and released a rarely seen Tomales Bay dinosaur today. Maybe he'll send me a picture.

    Eddie Kim's dad wanted to catch some rockfish yesterday, so away they went. The pile of fish would likely have been taller if the water had been flatter, but it appears that the elder Kim caught enough for a smile. After the rockfish came a much calmer halibut mission in the bay.

    I snuck out for two hours of fishing with my wife's uncle on Thursday and these guys were fishing near us. Here they are showing me the fish I was supposed to catch. Thanks, guys.



   Here's the fish we did catch. The 14 pounder had some weird black mottling on its white side. A taste test later confirmed that it was still good eating.

    Thumbs sent me this picture yesterday. No message with it, just the photo. I'm going to guess that the blue VK Dying Minnow behind a green prism dodger ripped the heart from this salmon yesterday. 

4 comments:

oldtimer said...

Mottled gray underside of halibut.... I noticed that in some July 3 photos of halibut and possibly other earlier photos too. I believe some "YOUNG" Canadian halibut are known to have grayish undersides.

Harvest Time said...

Fukushima!

Willy Vogler said...

So I guess it was appropriate to make sushi with it.

Thumbs said...

Congrats to the Kim's, Eddie your on fire 🔥...limited on salmon with that set up, VK dying minnow really paying off well this year and years previous...the action on that lure is awesome, and I do have a couple favorite colors I use..tight lines and give them a try, Willy has plenty in stock