Thursday, June 13, 2019

  This striper was caught across the bay from the Landing by the green can today. I heard a rumor (and saw a picture)of a 20+ pound striper caught in the surf yesterday evening. There's not a lot of them around but enough to possibly make things interesting. The salmon bite slowed a bit today with some guys getting their limits and others not so much. The 300 foot mark from Point Reyes to at least Bodega Head had scattered fish but not much metered bait. A 1.5 knot north current is inexorably pushing everything uphill, so the Russian River/Stewarts Point area may be ticket in the next day or two. From the radio, successful tactics today were straight bait and watermelon Apex at 80 to 150 feet OTW. Gage had a lot of action and a few keepers trolling hootchies behind flashers at 3.5 to 4 knots at 30 to 50 pulls. It pains me to say it, but I had to copy him to get my fish. Yes, there's lots of silvers, but after your third or fourth one in an hour you get pretty good at spotting them early. The whale show off of Bodega Head puts Marine World/Sea World to shame. Leaping orcas are cool but an airborne humpback is something else entirely. It's like watching an airliner ditch at sea.

5 comments:

Crabkiller said...

Big willy

Tailout said...

I have been fishing out of Bodega bay for 40 years. In that time I have encountered a lot of fisher folk and all kinds of events, good, bad and indifferent. I have never encountered a more rude, loud mouthed, idiot then I did on Wen. the 12th while fishing down off Pt. Reyes. The person in question is (was) "Jeff" the Captain of the 6-pack boat Samantha Irene. If you fish within a football field of him he freaks out. This is not the first time this has happened. Another time he did the same thing last year while fishing on the reef at Ft. Ross. What a show for his clients. I guided white water drift boat trips for 25 years on the North Coast, and was President of the Northen Calif. association of River Guides. If we got a report that one of our members acted in this manner we booted him out of the Association. We do not recommend fishing with this fine fellow!

Thumbs said...

The bite is hot out at 50 fathoms for sure, 4 days if limits and a slower day of 2 left me exhausted and needing a couple days of rest..the ling cod and rock cod report is just as awesome, we seen 7 party boats from SF all the way at bird rock and out 50 fathoms with at least as many 6 packs from the bay area as well, hell of a long way to come for salmon that are only 8-13 lbs, not that there isn't a few in the high teens..seeing lots of trash out there folks let's try to do a better job of keeping our trash off the water please...and the whale show is something to be seen

0311 said...

Is tailout the guy that knocked a kid to the deck on Jeff’s charter during no a salmon hook up. I’ve fished with Jeff multiple times always been a solid guy. Took me out one time when the rest of the charter canceled. Never seen him lose his cool

Tailout said...

So it's come to where a person goes by a number?? I have never been on the Samantha Irene. I have fished in the same area, but don't get to close(I'm talking about 100 yards) Jeff will freak out and start yelling, your on his drift or "get away from me you have the whole ocean to fish" The first time he did this last year, I called and talked to the owner of the boat he said "Jeff is like that"! and left my phone number if he wanted to talk to me man to man no call. This last time on the 12th I e-mailed the owner and got no reply. By the way when a charter cancels you lose your deposit which is 50%. WE DO NOT RECOMMEND FISHING WITH CAPTAIN JEFF ON THE SAMANTHA IRENE!