Sunday, April 7, 2024

      So, things look very, very bad for a salmon season this year, unless you're a salmon. Then it looks damned good! Here's the current plan as the PFMC sees it : https://www.pcouncil.org/documents/2024/04/e-3-a-supplemental-stt-report-1-salmon-technical-team-report-collation-of-preliminary-salmon-management-alternatives-for-2024-ocean-fisheries.pdf/ Notice around page 11 where it says "Closed" a lot in reference to California recreational fisheries. It ain't over until Wednesday, when they make the final decision, and there are guys fighting for a very, very short recreational season. If you're Catholic (or sympathetic) you should light a candle for Mark Gorelnik, who is fighting the good fight for a sport season of some kind. Tilting at windmills, perhaps, but Don Quijote is still remembered after 500 years, so... I'm actually a "season closer", but I didn't offer my opinion to anyone but Gage and my wife, and while those two are very influential on my actions, not so much with the PFMC, who never knew, nor cared. I figured that we, fishermen, will get blamed for any shortage of fish returning to the rivers if there's a lack of them and we're allowed to fish. No season, not my fault. But if I'm going to get blamed, well, I'm gonna earn it. I would fish every day possible, as there were very few offered, and catch all I legally could, so that when I was told that I did it, I could say, "yup", and mean it. It ain't official yet, but it looks like I'm grateful for the opportunity to be a good person, as enforced by the law. It's not decided, officially, yet, but as the magic eight ball says, signs say no. 

       In actual fishing report news, the only report from the bay was "dinner, and not much more" from a very revered and experienced fisherman. Not too many crab out and about. The decent morning weather has had a few beach casters out giving the crab a shot, but success has been, well, not good. A few crab are going home with folks but mostly it's more casting than catching. But, the seasons are changing, and the catching (of almost everything, really) should increase as we approach the solstice. For Dungeness, it's best at the beginning and second best at the end, and well, the end is nigh. So, second best is coming! If you follow that kind of thing. Or, even if you don't, actually. The crab do what the crab do, not what you want them to do. So go crabbing, soon, or wait for November.

No comments: