Saturday, February 10, 2024

    So, the "half your gear" rule may have halved the risk for whales but it has doubled the work a commercial fisherman must do to get the same money. Costs don't change much, but your ability to pay for them sure does. A string of pots that were producing well enough over a week but not in a day have to be moved, so running gear has changed to stacking and moving gear. Easily twice the effort but with no guarantee on the success. This leaves tired crews. One of these tired crews ended up aground at Salmon Creek beach last night. An effort to get the boat off of the beach today at high tide was apparently thwarted by environmental concerns that moving some sand with tractors would somehow be more detrimental to the environment than having the vessel break up. I heard a rumor of some ad-hoc shovel crew showing up tomorrow at sunrise to hand shovel around the boat. I hope it's true. When our government agencies act against rational thought, well, somebody out there with their heads not inside their rectums has to act rationally and for the environment. And heck, just do the right thing. Anybody with an argument for how moving some sand is worse than a boat busting open and dumping fiberglass fragments, oil and fuel on the beach, please feel free to tell us all. The sand comes and goes all the time. Petroleum takes a bit more time. Tell me I'm wrong. I love to learn. Or, I don't know, maybe shut up and dig.

4 comments:

Steve Humphrey said...

Wonderful post Willy. You have a great way of bringing humor to a tragic event. Let's hope this all works out for the fisherman.

Rich said...

Word

Harvest Time said...

We dropped 6 pots near the ranger station yesterday where we have done extremely well earlier in the season. Famous last words; “Hmm, look at all the buoys, oh well, this has always been a good spot.”

Then we dashed out to 300’ to try to crack the code on petrale sole, and wound up with 24 nice dabs. When we started fishing, we were promptly charged by the “Seaward” commercial crabbing vessel and harangued by the captain. I could not make it all out but it was something like “don’t let me catch you pulling my pots!”, to which I replied with a smile “same to you!” (Just in case he actually said “have a nice day!”)

I dunno, maybe he has been pirated, or maybe his crabbing is just not good. When my results are poor, I always like to blame pirates rather than admit I suck at crabbing. Don’t get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for commercial fishermen, with possible exceptions for those who accuse me of stealing crab.

After the high tide came and went we ran back in to pull our pots. We only got 5 keepers! There was a commercial crabbing vessel in the area, so I’m gonna go with the pirating excuse.

Anyway, I am going back in my cave to hibernate, wake me up after the commies have pulled their gear.

Wiley said...

Spot on again Willy. Such idiot action from our officials these days. I’d like to officially throw some sand on them !
Hope they get to save her before it’s to late !