Friday, May 26, 2023

 

     I checked my email before I started writing last night but didn't check again before I finished. Sorry, Tim, but here's your report from yesterday: "Hey Willy, just thought I would send a Striper photo to you.Was on the beach Thursday 25th from about 4:00 to 7:00 Pm. I Threw plugs for a long while up and down the beach for nothing. Switched to perch gear at the top of the tide, and 10 minutes into my perch fishing I get slammed by this 30.5 inch bass ,go figure ,lol. Not much to show for the perch effort but I'll take the bass. Tim Peelen" Damn nice surf fish, sir. I'd have posted this report earlier tonight, but the weather was so nice I headed out to the beach, too.
    Guess what? The stripers are biting striper gear, too. This 30", 10 pound linesides (Yes, Tim's was bigger. Barely.) bit a Halco Roosta Popper in maybe 18" of water right at 7:30 PM, about 10 minutes after the listed high tide. It's possible that Tim's fish may have liked his striper offering at the stroke of high tide, too. Tomorrow's "sweet spot" will be probably around 8:00 PM, but keep in mind the fact that the stripers don't read this report and may fail to bite at all. But that's fishing. On the other hand, I saw several people with stringers of surfperch walking back in from the beach this afternoon. I don't think you'd be wasting your time soaking some Berkley Gulp! Sandworms on the incoming tide tomorrow. You may not catch but you wouldn't be wrong doing it. Surf fishing had a better success record than halibut fishing in the last few days. I heard of one boat from here that caught a barely keeper 'but and a few shorties, but mostly there's a lot of boats in front of Inverness and there's more dodging boats than reeling in fish. As the water warms and the fleet thickens, wandering off from the pack may not be a bad idea. The fish near Marshall should be starting to bite, and even if they don't the fishing outside of the bumperboat court may be a bit less stressful. 



1 comment:

Chris said...

Did anyone else see the whale back by Inverness in 15’ of water Sunday morning?