Tuesday, March 29, 2022

  Who needs Vickie Campbell when you can get the real deal (NOTE: I do. Thanks again Vickie for the info)? This was sent in by Dan Steneck, who looks suspiciously like the guy in Vickie's picture from the March 18 post. "3-25-22.Well, the Hooks were sharp and the senses keen.12 lbs -33" Female. There is not much to eat out there besides Sand crab. Her gut was empty." Empty guts should mean full hooks, in theory. My experience has varied, greatly. I'm two stripers landed for four hook-ups this season. Gage took me aside the other day to tell me, gently, that I suck. I think he meant at landing stripers. 50% isn't awesome, but it ain't the worst, either. My plan is to improve. Mr. Steneck seems to have figured how to keep those fish attached to the hook. We should talk. You tell me how to keep the fish on the hook, and I'll tell you how to hold the fish out for your photo.
   The crabbing is still going sort of okay (even without the Eddie Kim) in certain spots by certain people. The rest of us haven't been doing nearly as well. Reds are in plenty on the far side but Dungeness are much harder to get. Tim pulled his gear today after a few days' soak for six smallish keepers in the outer bay. I'm not sure if he pulled them for end of the commercial season or just because he gave up. Sport trap season is still on the books to end in June but I expect a closure announcement by Friday, as that will give CDFW a seven day window to close the trap season for sport Dungeness concurrent with commercials. 
   At least rockfish opens on Friday, God love 'em. Usually eager to bite and damned tasty on the plate. Saturday, salmon opens. If I were to go, I'd fish out of Monterey or Santa Cruz, as they usually get the numbers for the opener. The Bodega Bay area can have fish at the opener, but if you aren't sure where to go, don't come here. Plus, the weather looks, let's say, questionable. Let's just say that your season to start waiting for good weather starts on Friday.

 

No comments: