Saturday, December 18, 2021

     There's a few new rules on the way. It appears that, starting next year (or maybe sooner) the limit for vermillion rockfish will drop from the current five to four fish. Quillback and copper rockfish will have limits of only one of each. The Pacific Fisheries Management Council has concluded that these three rockfish are overfished and need lower limits to help their numbers bounce back. The quillback should be the easiest one to stay legal with, as I rarely see them around here. I think Gage and I have boated three in the last two years, so we'll need to increase our quillback take dramatically to limit out. I'll probably just keep doing what I'm doing. Four vermillions per person is still a pretty good number. You could go over that in the right spot but, probably not. Only one copper, though, will see many a fish tossed back (or should, at least). It's a good thing for coppers that they're nearly indestructible. If they can survive five hours in my ice chest they will probably survive a release. 

   

No comments: