Sunday, November 17, 2019

 
     Here's a three hour soak in 60 feet of water at the Towers on Ten Mile (about the 38º 06" line). A half pound of squid in the bait jar caught 14 Dungeness, all keepers. It made me wonder why I dropped four pots until I pulled the next one and found only two crab in it. "Pirates!" I thought. Then I noticed that the door wasn't latched and I vaguely remembered dropping the bungy hook over the frame, not into the wire, and realized I had pirated myself. So, I basically need to run extra gear to make up for my carelessness. I'll need to buy some extra gear, then, because the crab numbers will start dropping soon after the commercial gear starts dropping. There's a chance that the commercial fleet will end up crammed into the area between Point Reyes and Gualala, depending on the outcome of the next crab test from Duxbury Reef. Should that happen you'll be able to walk on the buoys. Fingers crossed for a clean test. Ten Mile and the deeper water (150'+) will still have a lot of crab for us (over 5.75" and less than 6.25") but I think we all like to catch jumbos.
 The crabbing inside the bay has really dropped off. There are still some Dungeness getting caught but I only heard of one guy this weekend that was happy with his total. The average has been 0 to 2 with a couple guys catching half limits and one fellow with a lot of gear catching 28. 

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Will commercial gear go in the water this coming Saturday??

Harvest Time said...

It depends on what side of the bed Charlton H. Bonham wakes up on but for now "The Central Management Area (Sonoma County and south) season was delayed seven days by declaration of the Director to avoid marine life entanglements and opens at 12:01 a.m. on Friday, Nov. 22, assuming no additional delays due to domoic acid. This opening is preceded by an 18-hour gear setting period that would begin no earlier than 6:01 a.m. on Nov. 21."

If anyone has more recent info please correct me.

Local legend said...

Correct info harvest time. Here come the hoovers.

Harvest Time said...

Hoovers as in vacuum cleaners? Haha yep.

ab fish said...

Commies are deciding not to set pots till the whales move on. If 1 whale gets entangled their whole season is over. Sorry Safeway!

Patrisage said...

Looks like the commercial pots may not be going in just yet: https://cdfgnews.wordpress.com/2019/11/20/dungeness-crab-commercial-season-update/