Friday, April 8, 2016

     Here's a report from the opener. Yes, that was a week ago, but it is still good info. Bob Russell sent this in:



    Good morning. here are the pictures of the two we caught.  Not monsters but both early in the year keepers.  also this is just one of the crab pots we pulled.   Many of the crabs were 7" plus.   Chris Monk runs a 30' Radon out of Bodega bay.   1707 875 2267   Great boat and crew.  My son and brother and I  had a great day.  The salmon were bright red and sweet.  One on straight bait and one on a copcar apex.   about 7miles straight out off the college and about 40' down.  Water looked fishy.   We can only hope the fish stick around and get bigger as the year goes by.   As for the ab guy .  I used to dive at rocky point below point reyes on the marin coast  in the 1990s.  quit when I saw a bleeding seal with about a 12"  bite out of his back.  Stewards point is much less sharky.  
     Please note in the first photo that the pot full of Dungeness does not appear to have cotton string holding parts of it together and the door is tie-strapped shut. Still legal now, but not after August 1st. I've gotta re-rig all of my pots, too, so I'm going to try to keep reminding you guys until I finally get mine taken care of. Yes, I'm nagging myself, too.
     The Dungeness crabbing has been good for this time of year, but then again, it's usually at it's slowest now (February and March). They're still out there but, again, you've got to work for them.

No comments: