Thursday, October 15, 2015

95 pound bft 50 feet down mackerel 37 57 123 27 Nick Bauer

For a bit less pithy report, here it is: We went out this morning and caught mackerel, eventually.  For the record, catching more than you can keep alive is a bad idea. We killed 20 of our 24 in a  bait tank that wouldn't pump while the boat was on plane. Oops.  A blue shark ate another. But one bluefin ate one and the hook stuck just right. We went to where the Point Reyes waverider buoy should be and hooked up one mile inside of it. 


Others had bites and fish in the same area. Kapulani Chong caught a 45 pounder on a diving plug and Bob Brodsky caught a 40 pound bft on a live mackerel, all in the same area. Lots of blue sharks, so bring extra gear. At least four others were hooked and lost. We were lucky and hooked our big fish on big gear.  Better lucky than good, as they say. By the way, while I was cleaning this fish I rediscovered that bluefin is really tasty.

6 comments:

Tomales Outlaw said...

I guess that answers whether or not I'm heading out for bluefin. Hopefully there's a trip in my future....

Outlaw

Anonymous said...

One of Willy's pithiest posts

Landing team said...

I was there. Hell of a strike!
-Nicki

I was a bit pithed off.
-Willy

kamorozumi said...

OMG! That is AWESOME! Congrats.

Shaka said...

Team Willie, way to add to your awesome fish count this year! I'm stuck here on Oahu :) Shaka out

Wrybread said...

Nice effin fish!