Tuesday, April 16, 2024

    I've been fishing here for quite a while. I believe that was 1978 that I was first sent to "work" on the family party boat. My memories from then mostly involved catching fish and puking, probably not in that order (it wasn't. I puked a lot). As I eventually became aware of the world around me, the blurry world I could barely see through the tears I shed while vomiting, occasionally there was a large, green boat. The New Sea Angler was a part of my world, and has been since. A boat full of fishermen was never what I wanted to appear next to me, especially when I was catching. I'm having to delete a lot of foul language that is passing through my brain as I type this. But, having the New Sea Angler show up on your bite was an indicator that you were in the right spot. Honestly, the NSA arriving was the mark of authenticity to your finding a good bite. 

    I hated it. I don't need authentication. I 'm here to catch fish. I don't want to dodge party boats filled with shmucks. I just wanna fish. But....

   It appears that, like many figures from my youth, Rick Powers wants to retire, and his retirement is partly based on the value of his boat. So, here's the listing. Rick, if you're reading, you're the man. You've been pushing strong for a season for all salmon fishermen. A rising tide lifts all boats, eh. I just want to say thanks. Thanks for your lobbying, and thanks for you. Even when I was direct competition with you, you made me search out new places to fish, and I found a couple. I read somewhere that restrictions breed innovation, and I can't disagree. Thanks for the insight, and I'm sorry for the folks that follow that won't have your inspiration (or anti-inspiration) to follow. I know that all of the jackasses that followed you around were a pain, but now that seems like you're retiring, acknowledge the flattery that those followers espoused. "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness". Oscar Wilde, or someone like him, said that or something similar. Good on you, Rick. You have earned it. I was never happy when you showed up on the bite I found (it happened, more than once. I think twice) but I always figured that it was a compliment. 

    Rick, in a post on a website that doesn't exist now, posted that he'd lost a bluefin while trolling outside of Cordell in 2015. I went out there, and we caught a 95 pound blueifin. I can't comment on the rest of Rick's reports, but the one that I found actionable, worked. Look at this report in October, 2015, (the 15th). Thanks for the bluefin, Rick. May your retirement be awesome, but also interrupted by momentary periods that you wish that you were still fishing. For the rest of us fishermen's sake. Just saying. If I'm wishing for something I want to included.

  UPDATE: I heard Mr. Powers was just testing the market. He ain't done yet. The way the regulations are, well, he's a better and more stubborn man than I. 

1 comment:

Harvest Time said...

Hats off to the man, the consummate entrepreneur, the legend who invented the crab/rockfish combo, who never canceled a trip, and who has sold more packs of squid, white shrimp flies and weights to passengers than any other captain in history. I remember several times in my boat saying "is that the NSW? what the heck is he doing way in there?", only to find out later that Rick scored limits of big salmon and some halibut while I was scrounging. My chart plotter will forever list Rick Powers’ rockfish spots RP1 thru RP9, scalped by my buddy on a NSW trip.