Tuesday, November 6, 2018

   Dungeness season in Tomales Bay started off kind of slow and then has tapered off from there. The outer bay still has some good crab but it seems that many of the pots are moving North. I'm not sure if that's because the crabbing is slowing down in the South part or if there's some vain hope of escaping pot pirates by going farther away from the busiest port (Newsflash: They're like Visa -"Everywhere You Want To Be").  If you feel you must go farther, these gentlemen in the photo told me that yes, there's still quite a few crab down on Ten Mile. Running out of Tomales Bay means crossing over the bar which was breaking today (8-10 foot swell). Everybody made it in safe, but one crabber noted that it might be a good idea for our store to carry clean underwear in the future. 

    Here's a close-up of one of these Ten Mile crab with an extra claw on his claw. It kind of reminds me of John Madden's six-legged turkey. 

8 comments:

Tomales Outlaw said...

If you cross the bar at all regularly, an extra change of clean chonies should be standard gear. I have a clean dry pair on board at all times.

S said...

Are there any just straight out from the mouth in 150-180 feet or is it best to go south?

rokefin said...

I've seen plenty of limits come out of the outer bay, where? I don't know, wished I did know.
If I had a hot spot in the outer bay I would stick to that but we have always headed south for limits of nice crab so I guess we hesitate to experiment with other areas.

S said...

Right on. Thanks for your input. I appreciate you responding back.

ab fish said...

Wide open tuna night off the farallones?

One more said...

How has the Halibut fishing been in Tomalas? I got two a couple weeks ago in 100' of water near bird.

Harvest Time said...

Did you hear a report? Temp looks good but not chloro.

ab fish said...

Heard it through a friend. Too bad the boat is set up to go pull pots tomorrow gas masks and all. Poor people in paradise!!