Thursday, November 1, 2018

   So, no pictures, just observations. Not too many Dungeness crab being tossed back by the red crabbers in the last month. The crabbers were complaining about the Dungeness, then not. From my dive under the pier a few weeks ago I can say: doesn't look good inside the bay. An outer bay red crabber (I know; I didn't think such a thing existed either) said that there were a disappointing number (for him) of Dungeness crab in the outer bay. I hope that remains true. It would seem that inside the bay may (suck) not be that good but outside might be good for a while. The weather forecast is sub-optimal for the weekend but more disappointing than possibly fatal (windier than swell). I think that the outer bay will be doable and Ten Mile, maybe (depends on your level of abuse tolerance). The rockfish bite is so-so, as Gage and I caught only 9 fish today (I missed his ling with the gaff; should have been 10) in two hours of fishing what should have been a premiere area (Ten Mile). Nice sized fish, 2 to 5 pounds, but still, you could see schools on the meter and they mostly wouldn't bite. We threw a pretty good variety at them for just a few takers. As I said, disappointing, but damned tasty. One other thing, I have heard that trophies have been prepared for the opener. Awards like "Most Dangerous Crabber" and "Voted Most Likely To Foul A Prop" will be attached to some of the longer floating crab pot lines that will inevitably appear tomorrow. The anonymous awardsman's intent is to educate and entertain. I'm sure that nobody that reads this blog would win such an award, but if you see someone else "winning", make sure they they know how to be a submerged-rope-loser like the rest of us.

6 comments:

Harvest Time said...

I used to be a contender! But then I got leaded rope.

ab fish said...

Rope weights suck. Almost never tangle with leaded rope. Crab was pretty good. This midnight crap has gotta change. Let us set Friday but pull on Saturday would be way safer!

ab fish said...

I saw a bunch of tickets for undersized crab at westside. Come on people small crab have no meat. Saw some people lose their string for no go i.d. numbers. DFW were out in an old whaler confiscating gear.

Thumbs said...

I won an award, "most likely to be out fished" ha😂🤣😂

Anonymous said...

I figure it was safer to stay home and watch from the webcam. Way more entertaining too. The people launching their own boats was a riot. Some couldn't back up a trailer if their life depended on it. Hopefully everyone makes it home safe.

Harvest Time said...

https://youtu.be/TxqjERDB194