Thursday, February 4, 2016

The numbers are in. They aren't as bad as they could be and not as good as we'd all like. At this point, two crabs in Crescent City, one crab in Trinidad, seven crabs in Fort Bragg, and two crabs at Bodega Bay (Salt Point) are holding us back. Everything is pretty close to passing except for Fort Bragg. Those crabs are going to take a bit longer. My guess at the timing of the opener now is that it will be sometime during the clutch/molt period when the crab will be hard to catch and the ones you catch are hollow. That's probably 4 to 6 weeks away. Well, at least it will be an opportunity to try.

10 comments:

Sea Hunter said...

Will crabs be meaty again this season late spring?

Sea Hunter said...

Will crabs be meaty again this season late spring?

Harvest Time said...

I'm about ready to put the crab gear back up on the mezzanine :(

Unknown said...

Well, I put my pots away in December and I dont expect to take them out this season. Maybe next year?

Anonymous said...

Crescent city north and south are clean in the latest results (2/8/16):

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/pubsforms/Documents/fdbFrSSda34.pdf

Slow and steady.. . . .

Willy Vogler said...

I cautiously await the results from Fort Bragg. I think we may have some good results from the Bodega area on the next set of tests.

Unknown said...

Just seen something about crabs open south of point reyes. Or am i mistaken? Channel 7 news

Unknown said...

Abc7 news excuse me

ab fish said...

Your right it's on dfg Web site south of the pt. Is open! You can run down there did it to chimney rock for salmon it's too far. Just wait a couple weeks we'll get our chance.

Willy Vogler said...

I think I'd check with Fish and Wildlife about crossing a closed area to crab in an open one. You might experience some enforcement friction at the dock. My understanding was that they didn't want to open up the coast piecemeal because it would make enforcement tough. Now they're opening it up in chunks anyhow, so I would expect tough enforcement.