Friday, February 12, 2016

    Here's a picture of something you can catch here. Well, at least Dan (pictured) can catch the perch. I'm told he's been pretty successful lately, and even with today's big seas he caught some. Be careful out there if you go (you too, Dan) as there's no fish worth your life.
    Speaking of things not worth your life, the big swell has shut down the mouth of the bay, at least for the next few days. This actually saves me some money, as now my wife wants to boat down past Point Reyes to go get some crab. That's about 20 miles one way, 100 miles home if the wind comes up (at least it feels like 100 miles of bad road). She did check with Fish and Wildlife and reported, "This afternoon I spoke with Captain Don Kelly of the CA Department of Fish and Wildlife in Monterey. He said, from an email from the Assistant Chief Steve Riske, that it indeed is legal to launch here, crab in the open area, then transport the (legally caught) crab and traps through the closed area back to the marina." It looks like the weather will be decent on Tuesday and I have a strong feeling that she might make me go on a tuna fishing-sized trip for crab. I don't even know where to drop gear down there, but I do know where not to. The MLPA maps are on the newer GPS units, thankfully. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

department of health oked south of point reyes but doesn't dfg have to open the season? if so its still closed?

Willy Vogler said...

I wondered that too. I had to dig a bit, but at this page, https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Conservation/Marine/Invertebrates/Crabs#315201110-updated-recreational-regulations--dungeness-crab-and-rock-crab-emergency-closures-2112016 there's a tab near the top that says, "Updated Recreational Regulations" and is dated 2/11/16. In there it says "As of February 11, 2016, the recreational Dungeness fishery along the mainland coast South of 38° 00' N Latitude (Point Reyes) is open. The recreational rock crab fishery along the mainland coast South of 35° 40' N Latitude (Piedras Blancas Light Station) are open. The recreational rock crab fishery will remain closed north of 35° 40' N Latitude (Piedras Blancas Light Station) and in state waters around Santa Miguel, Santa Rosa and Santa Cruz Islands."

Good enough for me.

Beachdweller said...

Yup, as soon as the bar lays down, I'm making him take a day off! I can taste the crab now.

Beachdweller said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

thanks willy for digging into it, didn't want people to get nailed on a technicality on who opens it