Tuesday, July 11, 2017

     Bob Bedsworth caught this 19 pound striper near Hog Island yesterday. There were a few halibut caught back there as well but the fishing has dropped off in the last week to ten days. The wind has cooled the water a bit but it still remains between 57º and 64º at the weather buoy near Hog. It looks like we might have a few decent weather days coming up, and if that doesn't make the fish bite it will at least make the boat ride better. We might even get a chance at the salmon again this weekend, although the water will probably still be bumpy. Here's a few pictures I missed posting while I was out:


     Yes, that's a sturgeon, and yes, it was snagged on a jig, and yes, it was released. It is good to know that there are still some sturgeon in Tomales Bay (at least one) and you can fish for them if you don't mind catching and releasing about 200 bat rays for each shot at a sturgeon. At least it's steady action...

2 comments:

Petaluma Newbie said...

You're probably going to think I'm crazy Willy but from time to time I do enjoy fighting a bat ray on the end of my line. Any tips on where to go in the bay if I feel like targeting them and/or leopard sharks?

Willy Vogler said...

Usually where I'm halibut fishing seems like the hot spot for bat rays and leopards. I don't really have a lot of targeting info, except I have had to leave the hole behind Pelican Point before when every line took off with leopards (and I tend to fish a lot of lines for halibut). I've been told that the flats South of Tom's Point is a good spot to try for both critters.