Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Brandon and Laurel Sanders of Roseville submitted this photo and report from last weekend:
Just wanted to share a report from crabbing over the weekend.
 
We dropped three pots between Marker 5 and Pita Beach for a good haul on Saturday.  They soaked for three 2-hour intervals using salmon heads/backs, squid and mackerel.  In the meantime we anchored up and caught a few on snares.  The dungeness showed up in the morning, and we kept four keeper males and threw back several females.  There were a lot of undersized dungeness coming up so that is good news for later in the season.  We continued to catch lots of big reds throughout the day.  We went back out on Sunday and ended up with two more keeper male dungeness with a few females thrown back.  It got pretty choppy so we called it around noon.  We accidentally kept a female red as you can see in the right side of the photo...oops.  All-in-all good times.

I tried for some herring on Sunday back by Marshall but I came home with nothing. Guess I should have gone crabbing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

On a different matter ~ I've never been sand dab fishing but from the reports I've been reading, I'd like to give it a try. Can anyone tell me if there is any place within close proximity to Tomales Bay to catch them?
Thanks!