Friday, October 11, 2013

This is Alec Bennett on the Shrimp Boat last Sunday. This is his first albacore. Alec now knows how to troll for tuna while napping on an ice chest. It's an important skill, at least the way I fish it is. Luckily for Alec, he didn't get into a wide open tuna bite on his first trip, because that can ruin a man and give him false impressions about tuna fishing. Nice work, Alec, and may your next trip skew your impression of tuna fishing toward the improbably good. 
    The weather forecast has turned and is not now supposed to be very good tomorrow, but the nearshore rockfishing should still be pretty good. It's about an 80 mile run to tuna water, so rockfish is probably your best bet.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an amazing day that was. Here's some crappy cellphone videos we shot on the long ride home:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TikTxWKTnYg

So many whales. Wish I could have gotten a closer look, but gets the idea across.

Unknown said...

Had a great day fishing at Tomales Point...Limit of Lings and misc. Rockfish. Thursday 17 2013

Christian said...

Where are some decent places to fish for rock fish inside Tomales bay?

Willy Vogler said...

There are no good places for rockfish in Tomales Bay. Occasionally a short ling or small rockfish is caught near the rocky shore on the west side, but for dinner you'd really need to get out into the ocean.

Christian said...

Oh ok. I haven’t really dared exit the bay since my boat doesn't have a really deep draft or much freeboard. Even though I have been going to Tomales for years I have no experience leaving the bay. Since we see people get themselves into trouble at the mouth each year (Thank god those kids trapped in the cabin were ok last year, I just stay away from it since there are plenty of Dungee's to be caught inside the bay. This year I have the more commercial style pots that I plan on soaking for longer. I was thinking while letting them soak we would go for rock cod, halibut or if we get bored, perch. Maybe one of these days I’ll get to go with someone experienced in leaving the bay to learn how to do so safely.

Willy Vogler said...

Good idea. Respect is good.