Thursday, October 8, 2020

 

   So I get this picture at about 10:30 this morning from the Shrimp Boat. "Woninnabox! And just had another hookup. 225 off bird, lots of bird action" Soon after, another text: "Two Inna box! Last was 23 inches but I'll take it! Tim has 2 also" So, bottom line, no halibut.
   Tim also ended up with limits, even though he took Steve Werlin. I'm sorry, I mean in spite of taking Steve. No, I mean, ... well, they know what I mean. They also caught their salmon limits in less than an hour out in 225' of water, 140' down. Their fish weren't huge, but hey, it's good action in October. We don't need big ones.





    So Harvest Time sent me a couple of pictures at 2:30 this afternoon: "Lingcod limit on one drop", "And a 25# king" and finally "Salmon was taken 15 minutes ago 220' off bird, 100 pulls, watermelon apex, no flasher." I guess some guys can catch the big ones after all. Maybe the big ones were waiting for the little ones to leave. Whatever the reason, that's a good day of fishing. But the main takeaway for today is: no halibut.

23 comments:

Tyeebones said...

Hey willie do you have the most recent intel on the requirements for sport crab gear thanks

Capn Al said...

Hey Tyeebones,
It's on the internet. Fully explained.
Good luck crabbing to ya Matey! 😀

Thumbs said...

Hey harvest time, miss your yearly ales you make...nice catch..tight lines

Willy Vogler said...

Tyeebones, I'm not a lawyer, but I believe the rules will be the same as last year at the start of the season. The new rules have a "Proposed Adoption Date" of December 9, 2020, so I can't imagine them being in effect prior to adoption. I think the new law becomes effective on March 1, 2021.

BD said...

Question. I see one of the lings was caught on a jig with a treble hook.....is it legal to fish with a treble if the lure originally came with one? My interpretation was 2 hooks only.
Thanks!

rokefin said...

Treble is fine for lings and hali, I'm sure fine for rocks also but always check the regs - now your going to make me re-read some of the regs:)

Harvest Time said...

You had me worried!

(d) Method of take: When angling, gear is restricted to not more than two hooks and one line. For purposes of this section, a hook is a single hook, or a double or treble hook with multiple points connected to a common shank.

And yes we caught the salmon barbless after the lings. It was scary (you know, that good kind of scary), jumped several times and the hook just fell out when we netted it.

JRS said...

My interpretation based on a lot of dull reading:

A treble hook is only one hook.

Two treble hooks on a single lure only count as one “hook”.

The spirit of the regs is to limit ganions to two (2) “baits”.

(Always read the regs yourself.)

BD said...

Really appreciate the input guys. Great info. I would like to use trebles on my ling bars. I changed them to single hooks but will change them back, I'll confirm before doing so. Thanks!!!!

BD said...

Thanks, JRS for doing the dull reading!!!

Tomales Outlaw said...

Congrats to Lawsons and Voglers for getting their wastewater and management plan approved by CCC!!!

Outlaw

Harvest Time said...

Wow! Great news!

rokefin said...

Yes! Good news....moving forward!

BIG"D" said...

How pathetic.

Onemore said...

Some decent looking tuna water in Bodega Canyon. Has anybody been out looking?
I’m out until spring salmon, so living vicariously.

BIG"D" said...

No one

BIG"D" said...

No dock

BIG"D" said...

New truck

BIG"D" said...

Old debt

BIG"D" said...

New debt

Willy Vogler said...

Against my better judgement, and violating the "don't feed the trolls" rule (first rule of the internet), here's my return comment, Unknown:

Sad felon

BIG"D" said...

The bank feeds you

BIG"D" said...

Fish in a barrel