Tuesday, August 27, 2019

    Alec Bennett told me that "fishing is easy." It took him less than an hour yesterday to land this limit to 21 pounds in 50 feet of water at the Trees. They bit anchovies under a VK head, no flasher.

   Joe Downing made no comment on the relative complexity of the sport of fishing but just smiled and weighed in a pair of 23 pound salmon yesterday. He also mentioned the Trees. 

   Nathan Porter and Charise Corpe caught more fish than they could hold today. I believe that halibut went 24 pounds and the largest salmon 23. All fish hit bait behind an 11" green Hot Spot flasher. I'm told they were at McClures.

   Lou Zanardi and George Cinquini were one short of limits on salmon today but still caught enough to overheat the Foodsaver. The big one was 22 pounds. North McClure's Beach was the general area. The bait has moved into the nearshore waters and, while surely attractive to salmon, there's so much of it that it most bait schools are unmolested by ravaging salmon. Finding bait doesn't mean you found the salmon.
     Jeff from Sebastopol caught this slug that weighed 26 pounds and was caught close enough to my fishless boat to make me momentarily hate two really nice guys. I got over it. South of the Trees, 60 feet of water.
    
   Gage, sensing my skunked discomfort, made sure to send me this picture of another fish I neglected to catch this evening. His salmon weighed 23 pounds and a bit a straight bait. Yes, it is legal to gaff a keeper salmon in the ocean.
    Now, a critique of the report as submitted by Doug Vincent: "I'm guessing that the fishing reports page main purpose is to encourage more people(customers) to visit your business. I find it a rare occurrence when there is actual usable information there that would encourage me to go out there and go fishing(spend $ with you). For example, so and so caught these fish off Bird rock in x ft of water this morning. Or, these halibut were caught in 20 ft in front of Hog island. When you post photos of grinning people with nice fish, without any usable info, I feel like you are just saying to everyone, "nah, nah, too bad for you, we caught fish and you didn't" and "we don't want your business". Feels like you are trying to be a
smartass when you say things like "they were caught out front, or somewhere sandy, or off a beach, or in the water". NOBODY LIKES A SMARTASS. The least you could do is caption the photos accurately. Like this:
"These greedy smartasses would not tell us the location these fish were caught so that we could help others to be successful as well. They are not nice people and might think that only they should be allowed to catch fish.
Helping other fishermen is what good fishermen do and withholding valuable information shows a total lack of sportsmanship"
There should be consequences for that sort of selfish behavior
OK, I feel better now
I still don't know where to catch halibut in Tomales Bay though"  Well, Doug, a lot of people don't like playing bumperboats (except at Scandia) and would rather keep their spots to themselves. They may also feel that, having put in the time and effort to find the fish, maybe just handing that information over would be cheating both you and him. For the guys that do share, thanks. Also, a lot of the time I don't get a chance to talk to people but just get a picture from another employee. For the record.though,  Doug, as far as the smartass thing goes, my dog still likes me. And if you don't know where to catch halibut in Tomales Bay, I can't help you. There are fish from one end of the bay to the other, from 6 feet to 40 feet of water, in the rocks, mud, sand and along the eelgrass beds. Probably the least concentration of fish is under the fleet of boats near the yellow buoy and Pelican Point, yet a few guys limit there pretty regularly. If you are trying lots of spots and not catching then you need to change the only constant- your technique. If you are waiting for some guy on a computer to tell you where to go for instant limits then you are in for disappointment.

25 comments:

Harvest Time said...

Sheesh it looks like everyone and his brother, and sister, are catching nice fish! Thanks for the report. As you know, for people who fish the area these reports are actually saturated with good intel.

Suggestion for Mr. Vincent, with respect, collect some friends and some cash and hire one of the excellent local 6packs charters. Bring a map of the area, ask lots of questions, take lots of notes, and leave a good tip. There is definitely a learning curve to this and we are all still on it even after 30 years or more.

Also if you don't get Willy's self-deprecating sense of humor then you might try reading old Mad Magazines or listening to old Jack Benny radio shows until it starts to sink in. Good luck!

- Harvest Time

Wrybread said...

Fishing is easy! Except when it's really really really hard.

Tracy said...

Dear Mr. Vincent,

I live outside of Reno Nevada and drive a long ways (often) to stay at Lawsons and fish for a few days.

Never once have I been disappointed in the fishing and never once have I gone home empty handed. I am not the worlds greatest fisherman. The trick is to get off the computer and get out there and try. The fishing report is simply there to encourage you that the fish are in the area and biting

As for Willy (and his family), I can honestly say I have never in my life met a more humble group and they will go out of their way to help you find whatever you are fishing for that day. His Sarcasm and self deprecating style is refreshing and personally I find funny.

Go meet Willy, I am sure you will come away with a more positive opinion and certainly a new friend. I did!

High Times Fishing said...

First time here for me. After many years of trying to break my Tomales Bay curse for the Halibuts, this year I have not only broke it, I smashed it.But for me, I have been trolling with the same rigs I use when launching out Berkeley, blade and straight bait. But I will always enjoy Willy's Blog. Great humor and great reads. And to Mr. Vincent, do not depend on the internet, depend on yourself to get out there keep trying. I never gave up and never will!!

Tomales Outlaw said...

Jesus Henry Christ on a rubber crutch. What a jackass. Vinny boy obviously has no idea the service that Lawsons provides. The beaurocratic B.S. that they have had to put up with let alone pay for has been enough to cause most outfits to fold tents and disappear. Yet they've stuck it out. Ever check the shop prices? Tray bait is less than West Marine. Tackle prices are often less than online shops. They open at 6 EVERYDAY. But the info on the blog is lacking. Unbelievable. I'm more than willing to bet even money that David Vincent has zero plans to spend money at Lawsons, whether he lowers himself to the average Tomales fisherman's level or not, which would be fine with me and most everyone else I know if he didn't. Yeah, I get pissed when people insult my friends. In the words of the great Alfred E. Neumann......NUFF SAID!!!

Outlaw

One more said...

I drive down from the Reno area as well, I love this blog it's fun to see guys get on them and it gets me fired up to go do it myself. The info is there if you know how to read it and
If you couldn't catch fish this last weekend then maybe your better off at the bingo hall.

One more said...

Thanks for all the great info and pics Willy keep it coming!!

rokefin said...

Well said folks!
Vinny, keep reading the blogger - you’l get it eventually.

Fish Lips said...

Dear Blowhard / Vinney,

WHAT do you NOT understand about the following?

1. limit to 21 pounds in 50 feet of water at the Trees. They bit anchovies under a VK head, no flasher.

2. weighed in a pair of 23 pound salmon yesterday. He also mentioned the Trees.

3. All fish hit bait behind an 11" green Hot Spot flasher. I'm told they were at McClures.

4. North McClure's Beach was the general area. The bait has moved into the nearshore waters and, while surely attractive to salmon,

5. South of the Trees, 60 feet of water.

Do you need someone to hold your hand and put your line in the water for you? For crying out loud, a blind man could find the fish with this info.

One nice thing about Willies Blog (amongst many) is that if fish are being caught, you'll hear that. If not, you'll hear that, too.

Take a look at ANY other "fishing" updates and you'll be lucky to hear ANYTHING specific, and will probably be from months ago.

Goooood Luck!

Sucka-Fish said...

I love the blog! Thank you everyone who participates in a positive way. Its a network of valuable information.

Swampy said...

Dear Ass Hat,

As pointed out there are plenty of clues where to catch fish in or out of that bay in these reports. Willy does a great job keeping these reports up to date and it’s where I go to get my “fix” when I can’t be on the water.

Vincent, please do me a favor and stay away from the little bay, I go there to get away from your type.

Sincerely, Swampy

Miller Time said...

OH VINNY.....
Your Mommy called and wants you to come home. Your participation trophy showed up today... Mommy wants to take you out for a nice cream and maybe buy you a shiny new lure ...

"Get a clue Vinny"

Harvest Time said...

Is it true albacore 50 miles up/out of bodega today?

Wrybread said...

Doug V, if you can't find the extremely usable information in Willy's posts, you still have a lot to learn about fishing around here. But that's ok! One of the amazing things about Lawson's is how much local knowledge gets passed along here. People here have been passing along ocean experience for generations, and they're often glad to pass that along to you in person, as long as you bring a friendly attitude and apply yourself a little. I’m living proof of that, I couldn't tie a palomar knot a few years ago and now thanks to the local wizards I just overheated another vacuum sealer vacuum bagging the fish in the first pic of this post.

JRS said...

This page makes me happy when I’m sad because I can’t go fishing!!

Willy Vogler said...

I heard 60+ miles, off of Salt Point. I'm going

Alastair Bland said...

Seriously, Doug. Enjoy the hunt! In my opinion, people share too much specific info on the internet these days.

Crabkiller said...

There once was a boy who cried wolf. Apparently there's a man doing it now in his fishing report.

0311 said...

Participation trophy nice !!!!!

0311 said...

The guy could always try hitting the dumpster at Nicks for leftovers. Or paddle out on a pool toy with a shovel if he’s hard up.

Crabkiller said...

People lie. Fisherman are people. Dont believe everything you read, especially from a fisherman. #lemmings#sheep

Sucka-Fish said...

How did it go?

Shut up and fish! said...

Hey V,
Fishing and especially catching is going to be way to tough for you. Your complaining and you haven’t caught or even lost a monster at the boat. I have an idea maybe you should pick up golf. I’m sure you could learn to chase the little ball over the grass , when things don’t go your way you can just throw the club.

Anonymous said...

Golf would be good there is a map at every hole and they are nice enough to stick a tall flag in it.Maybe even sim golf so you don't have to leave the computer.

Willy Vogler said...

Hey guys, I think the point has been made. I think we all would like to know exactly where to go and what to do to be successful every time. But the reality is that getting it right half the time is really hard. Even the best of us miss the fish sometimes. For those of you that share honest information, thanks from the rest of us. For those that lie, thanks for the stories. For those that show off fish but won't say where, thanks for letting us know that there were fish out there to be caught.