Thursday, August 29, 2019


   Here's a few pictures from derby day. Stacy Barton and crew Tried off of the day beach first and ended up with a couple of halibut, then went to Point Reyes (about 240 feet of water) and caught salmon 50 feet down. I don't know where the rockfish came from.

   Gage sent me this with no explanation yesterday. It looks like Thumbs and Eddie Kim caught some nice salmon. At a guess, VK Dying Minnow (Thumbs) and green Rotary Salmon Killer (Eddie). The location of the catch is difficult to judge from the photo but, since I caught a salmon last night at the Trees and several other fish were caught there, I'll guess somewhere near there. The bite moved South to Ten Mile today.

     It turns out that fishermen lie and there are no tuna to be had from Bodega/Tomales bays. There's no way that the warm mass of water that they're catching albacore in from Fort Bragg and extends past Point Arena could have fish all that way. The 60 mile run to 38º 37' by 124º11' is too far. Even if you went the tuna are very small. No way they'd hit Mexican Flag feathers and Rapala X-rap 20's. It would be impossible to catch 13 of them. Or, it did happen and I just finished cleaning fish. 

4 comments:

Harvest Time said...

Tell us where you caught the rockfish dammit!

AF FISH said...

Doug Vincent is not going to be content with this last report

One more said...

Awesome!!!
Good luck to any and all heading off shore looking for Long Fin, have a safe trip.
I'll be on the sidelines living vicariously untill the 15th so I hope to see some pictures.

One more said...

And thanks Thumbs I picked up a couple of those VK minnows, I finally took off the purple Haze hoochie and fished the VK last weekend they work well!