Friday, May 24, 2019

     There's some salmon out in 300-330 feet of water but they're down so deep you need a downrigger for your downrigger. The commercials are catching with their 50 pound leads but I don't think my Scotties will take that. Some sportfishermen are catching using 12 to 15 pound balls or pancake weights to get the depth. The New Sea Angler caught a few by dropping leads but he's got a school of baitfish under his boat that we lack. This weekend's wind will likely shake things up again and with luck some of those fish will end up someplace catchable.
      At least the halibut are playing ball here in Tomales Bay.  I haven't heard of any caught on the bar but almost every where else seems to have a few hungry flatties. Live bait, trolling, jigging, whatever you're comfortable doing will probably get you dinner. I haven't seen any jumbos this week but there were a good number of halibut caught in not too many boats out fishing.
     The crabbing has been slow but they're still catching some. The snaring has been pretty productive around the turns of the tide. My surfperch guy has been distracted by halibut fishing, so I don't know how good or bad the surf fishing is. Halibut gets a thumbs up, though.
   

4 comments:

Crabkiller said...

Try Tim's Berthas.

Tailout said...

My buddy and I fished the bay yesterday, outgoing tide, hard SW wind, couldn't catch any bait, but we got'em. Landed 8 Halibut to 26". Four of them were 20"-21" and were released. The Jumbo Jack smelt were thick, and were tearing up our trolled Anchovies.
I have never seen Jack smelt this big before, and have never caught them while trolling 6" Anchovies. When reeling one in a school of others would follow the hooked fish to the boat. At the boat launch I heard a guy caught a White Sea Bass but I didn't see the Fish.

Willy Vogler said...

I heard a rumor of a WSB as well. I hope it's true. They were catching quite a few in San Francisco Bay near Treasure Island a couple of weeks ago and either the bite shut down or the talking about it did.

Sea Hunter said...

i was on the new sea angler yesterday and we caught about a dozen fish. we only trolled afternoon we were fishing on the beach @ ten mile i even caught one on the drop with white shrimp fly rig. couldn’t keep that one though. gotta stay barbless