Monday, April 1, 2019

   Mitch Hamilton sent in a report from yesterday:"Managed to scrape 9 up back by Hog Island, more importantly my youngest grandson is on board now. Heard of a halibut hooked and lost by one of the kayaks." Notably, not the only halibut I heard of yesterday. There may have been a second one lost and another halibut caught near Marshall. I guess that I know now how much salt needs to be in the water to keep halibut happy.
   PS- The one boat that went rockfishing from here yesterday caught 12 fish for two fisherpeople (fisherpersons?) in 50 to 80 feet of water off of Tomales Point. From the usafishing report, it sounds like there may be a few salmon around out deeper. I guess we'll find out on the 13th, weather permitting.

6 comments:

rokefin said...

Very curious of the hali behavior in the bay, if there is low salt in the bay do these flat bottom girls head back out to sea or are they just laying dormant in the bay? Or are they waiting at the bar waiting to come into the bay when the water salts up?

Willy Vogler said...

Those are a few of the questions I have. I'm guessing that the smaller variety are more low-salt tolerant than the larger ones but I would love to be wrong.

Crabkiller said...

Tim knows.

SPACE INVADER said...

I spoke to the Kayaker who hooked into the one on Sunday, he said it was on the larger side of the scale...

Willy Vogler said...

And now I'm happy

Harvest Time said...

Hopefully not a mud marlin