Wednesday, October 3, 2018

    I had my Gage moment today, going out and catching my limit in 50 minutes. The fish were about 40 feet down in 60-ish feet of water at Tomales Point. I saw Rich Chapin fighting one as I left but from the radio it sounds like the bite died. As there has been an sporadic bite there for a few days, my guess is that we'll see a few more fish from there before it's over.
   Teo Lally's big one weighed 23 pounds today. The boat had limits. Actually, we only launched four boats today, three limited and one had one limit for two fishermen. Bird Rock was the afternoon bite, although Elephant Rock worked well for one boat. Gage has one in the box as I write this. I'd write more but my wife wants to go fishing, so....
...so now I can write more. Nicki caught a 20 pound salmon and Alec Bennett (of the Shrimp Boat) caught a 15 pound salmon. The water off of Bird Rock is full of anchovies getting randomly molested by gangs of salmon. Gage pulled a Gage and caught 23 and 25 pound salmon before I could get back out there and is now, as the English say, insufferable. It was kinda rude, as Alec had been fishing there since the early afternoon and hadn't managed to land one (he had hooked a few) and Gage rolls in, puts two in the boat in 90 minutes, and leaves. For the record, Nicki and I waited for Alec to land a salmon at last light before we put one in the boat. The other boat still on the water were yelling at the same time, so I think the fish had gone back on the bite. We didn't stay to find out. Everybody knows the bogeyman comes out at night and I don't want to meet him at sea. For the record, though, best October salmon fishing here that I can recall. Too bad it will surely change with the weather.

4 comments:

B said...

I was fishing in the same area. Got my limit in less than an hour.

rokefin said...

I was home without a boat:(

Thumbs said...

Early bird gets the fish..very tidal bite

Harvest Time said...

Guys guys, tryna work here ok?