Saturday, September 8, 2018

For this year's derby (or Windvitational), our friends over at Shrimpboat Industries made some appropriate trophies. They were awarded along with the cash prizes. There were only 22 fishermen this year due to a combination of my forgetting to mention the derby and the bad weather.

    The Nursements weighed in the first fish with a 12 pounder at 12:30, but just before the 4:00 PM cutoff Kevin Fogal slipped in with a 12.5 pound salmon to claim third place and $250.00.

   Paul Costa found a 17.5 pound salmon in the outer bay today to claim second place and $350.00. Also, a nicer ride home than the guys that ran south.

   Stacy Barton got first place with his 22 pound salmon he caught at McClure's Beach. His secret technique:"I finished heaving and when I looked up the line had released from the downrigger and the fish was on." I need to start chumming, I guess, because I came home empty.

 
   In a separate ceremony, Gage was awarded a special prize today. Thanks to the Outdoor Pro Shop for helping out with the derby.
   The Coast Guard was really working hard last night and today in a tremendous effort to find the fisherman that fell out of his boat on Friday night. While it didn't seem like they found him, it was clear that they were trying hard to do so. The C130 flew over us all day and you could see helicopters and boats out looking. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the families and friends of the fishermen hurt and lost in this horrible accident at sea.



16 comments:

rokefin said...

Well done Stacey Paul and Kevin!!!

Stacey - you need to get out more than once a year to handle the unpleasant seas - the cash must make you feel better though....

Unknown said...

You guys let a googone beat you ha ha

rokefin said...

Googones finished 1st 2nd 3rd

P.costa said...

Talk trash talk all you want. But Did you show up? Looks like you lost out to us googans too lol

rokefin said...

That's what I'm say'n Paul.....I am a fellow googone

P.costa said...

Welcome aboard

Harvest Time said...

I'm a wannabe googone.

rokefin said...

Abfish is waiting for his honorary invite to the googone family;)

Unknown said...

I don't ever want my name associated with that term. Oh my God googones! A 12 pounder won money! I think might come take some of your money next time!

Harvest Time said...

Monday morning quarterback ^

P.costa said...

Yeah last year a 12 pound fish would have took 1st. With 8 to 10 foot waves it was a butt kicker. Bring your boat and your wallet next year. The fish were gutted before weighed in so the actual weight is a little better

ab fish said...

With claiming closed in Humboldt I think we should start worrying about crab season!

Harvest Time said...

I'm saving guts so crabbing has got to happen, and I'm not talking about red rocks neither!

ab fish said...

I'm hoping the commies go on strike till Nov. 1 so we get a month to load up on dungies before they mop them up

P.costa said...

Tuna before crabbing

ab fish said...

My buddy got 4 blue fin this week! San diego Cows!