Saturday, August 4, 2018

    Pretty slow fishing yesterday with the wind keeping most of the boats in the bay and the few that went out catching a couple salmon here and there among the whitecaps. "Here and there" included North of Bodega Head and from Tomales Point to the Trees. There were also salmon caught on the Tomales Bay bar and South of Hog Island inside the bay. These were single fish, caught in the schools of anchovies, but it gives one hope. Hog Island was very slow for halibut but further back near Marshall a couple of boats had some luck by trolling gear that looked nothing like a real fish. I guess that one way to set your offering apart from the million anchovies is to have something that is the opposite of "match the hatch." 
     I lost my fishing buddy yesterday. Tom McHale was my friend and father-in-law. He wasn't able to get out fishing in the last year or so but was fishing vicariously through Gage, Cameron and all of your fishing stories that I shared with him. This is him with his 30 pound white sea bass in 2015. I hope he's fishing with Merle again.
   

5 comments:

SPACE INVADER said...

Willy,
Sorry to hear about your family and friends loss.
Tom was a great part of the community, I always enjoyed the long conversations he managed to get out of people.
I’m sure Tom and Merle are catching not just fishing...
Sincerely the Lessard’s

ab fish said...

Sorry for your loss! I remember my fishing buddies that are no longer here when fishing is slow. I will ask them to send a fish my way. Tom we need a wide open bite? It has worked out pretty well in the past. The hardest thing is when you catch a trophy and cant show it off to them but you gotta think they are always watching.

Thumbs said...

I miss the days of fishing with both Tom and Willy, the three of us had some really great trips together, back when we couldn't keep any canaries, both Willy and I would toss them over our shoulders to Tom letting him know those were always his fish.know that you will be missed Tom, and thanx for the fun

Numbnutz said...

there has got to be a fishing life after ,god I hope so . so sorry for your loss.

Jen said...

We are so heartbroken that Uncle Tom is gone. We can't make it this weekend but will be down there on the the weekend of the 25th. Love you all.