Saturday, June 9, 2018

    Ed Falkenstein sent in this picture today:"From left to right; Caleb, Lenea, Eli and Jax smoked the surf perch using camo and blood red gulp worms. Just north of the potato patch."

    There's a striper or two in the surf with the perch. They'll eat the Berkley Gulp! worms, too. The halibut bite in the bay hasn't panned out for the guys I spoke with, but then again, the weather wasn't what I could call good, either. There were a few rockcod caught out of here today before the wind blew the boats back into the bay. Salmon opens in a week on the 17th, but the way the weather is I think I'll be buying another pack of Gulp! worms before I get a tray of bait.
    

10 comments:

jevana said...

Any recent luck on (recreationally) catching Dungeness crab from the pier? Asking for a friend...

Willy Vogler said...

Yes, there have been a few Dungeness caught from the pier lately but not too many. I also didn't ask the catchers if the crab were males. Sometimes you don't want to know.

jevana said...

Thanks Willy, you're the best! Do you have any neat crabbing tips? We might go try our luck today.

Unknown said...

What is the potato patch? Just curious, thanks.

Willy Vogler said...

My tips are late and simple: add a little fresh bait every time you check your trap. On the pier, next to many other people, it's like a crab version of a beauty contest. You need to have better smelling bait than the guy next to you. Squid, mackerel and fatty chicken all work well for bait; rotten meat will attract some reds but not the Dungeness.
George, I was afraid you'd ask that. I'm not sure where Ed was referring to. I know that Gage has been fishing (and catching) closer to Sand Point now, like within a quarter mile of the end.

ab fish said...

If you got a boat use leaded line or line weights! My prop thanks You!! Googone!!!

Inverness said...

The Potato Patch is a large shallow shoal off the Marin Headlands just outside the Golden Gate entrance. Depth is about 24-35 '. It generates huge waves during storms and rough weather.

Willy Vogler said...

That was my understanding. Also, some Dillon Beach folks call the bumpy spot that forms just inside the Tomales Bay bar on the outgoing tide the "potato patch ", surely a miniature homage to the original. I think that neither of these are what was referred to in the report. Not sure what was, but posted the report in hopes that someone else might gain some knowledge even if I am ignorant.

rokefin said...

Do we finally see the wind machine slowing down Sunday - could be a halfway decent Salmon opener...

Harvest Time said...

It's next to the cabbage patch