Friday, May 11, 2018

    I saw a 15 to 20 pound halibut caught near Marker 5 this morning. It looked like 30 pounds but my perception might by skewed by all the teensy ones I've seen. It is nice to see a larger fish on this end of the bay.
   The surfperch bite has been pretty good with the best bite being during the lower tide ranges instead of the usual high tide bite. I haven't seen any more stripers but I've been told about a few possible missed opportunities. The Dungeness crabbing has been painfully slow with the crab in the middle of the clutch (Clutch definition: When a boy crab and a girl crab love each other very much....). The weather wasn't any good for rockfishing this past week but is supposed to be good this weekend.
    Here's the fish that proves that the first one wasn't a fluke. Actually, this was caught on a fluke, jigging, about a long stone's throw from the seawall.
    I just walked out the door and got a hot tip that there's a few larger halibut around as well. Ben Miller caught the 24 pounder (left) and Morgan Young caught the 28 pounder. At least one of these fish bit a jig. And they didn't go as far back as Hog. Nicely done, gents.


1 comment:

Tony said...

Wow. I've been out three times this year. "Mostly" just fine tuning a new (to me) outboard on my boat. I've only caught one dink. I can't get back out for about two weeks. Those 2 photos keep popping up in my mind. I'm going to be worthless for about 2 weeks now...Thanks to Willy and the guys that caught them!