Monday, December 4, 2017

    The only picture I have to show is this photo of Gage and Nick's thornback ray from last week. I had to crop out Gage's boots from the photo so you couldn't tell how big (small) it was. The boys caught 14 bat rays and this little critter in three hours of night fishing at low tide on the mud flats off of the seawall. Squid was the hot bait.
     In other news, the rockfishing was on the slow side this last week, probably from large swells and the full moon. Crabbing in the bay was decent for the guys really working their gear and moving it around. Get too close to the rocks and kelp and it's nothing but reds. The outer bay still has some decent patches of Dungeness, again in places away from from the rocks. Also, a note to the clammers: Digging during later tides that may require you stay out after sundown is a bad idea. "No instrument capable of being used to dig clams may be possessed between one-half hour after sunset and one-half hour before sunrise, on any beach of this state," and the wardens can get grumpy when they write tickets in the dark. Let's keep them happy and stick to daylight hours like we're supposed to do.

11 comments:

ab fish said...

Grumpy wardens never!! Not an oxymoron!!
I will never forget when they pulled up on us digging and told us to drop the hoes. Something like the hoe could be used as a weapon. How many calm diggers have attacked wardens?

Willy Vogler said...

I'll guess that probably nobody that was calm attacked a warden. That said, wardens often work far from any backup and are, I read somewhere, likelier to get attacked or shot that an average cop. Everyone that they stop during hunting season is armed. I'd be giving everybody the stink eye on good days. There's money in them clams ($50 per pound) and gangs are starting to get involved. They probably aren't wrong to be bit paranoid.

rokefin said...

$50 bucks a pound - I think I'll start my own clam gang....

Unknown said...

A clam gang? Hell I've heard it all now.

Willy Vogler said...

It's not quite the Bloods and Crips, but a limit of 2 pound clams could get $1000. People have been violent for a lot less.

Unknown said...

I believe you Willie. Not much surprised me anymore.

ab fish said...

We were digging cockles not those scrotum looking geoduck but might have to next year with AB season on hold.

ab fish said...

Norcal free divers just went extinct. Pink meat is next on these environment nazi list. Funny how they make the decision in San diego. DFW are crooks!! At least we can get our Mamiliar instinct filled in oregon

rokefin said...

We just need to stop the river fishing, let the salmon do their thing - I know its a biased opinion but it only makes sense....let the salmon spawn without the harassment.


Oh, and you can have my clam quota - just send me a check for those overpriced gooee things;)

Unknown said...

I totally agree with you about the salmon. Catching salmon at the outlet is like shooting fish in a barrel anyways.or should I say snagging.

ab fish said...

Yes but maintaining historical river flows is critical. They shorted releases from shasta this year causing more problems to the upper sac. And dfw let's it happen. If the gravel beds are dry there is nowhere for wild fish to spawn and the need pulse releases in spring to flush them our to sea. How long till they stop fucking things up.