Tuesday, August 1, 2017

    Here's Scott from Auburn with, as I recall, a 23 pound striper caught on a shiner near the yellow buoy yesterday. Please, Scott, if the details are wrong, let me know. Yesterday was a bit of a blur.

    Jeff Barcus of Lincoln caught this 28 pound salmon in 50 feet of water a little south of Elephant/Keyholes area. Look at that hooked jaw. On the fish. This one is feeling the pull of the river. There are more than this one in the shallower water, now. Nice work Jeff.

    I'm not supposed to give out details about this, except for the fact that Gage caught the big halibut (21#). I think, though, that you can infer quite a few things from the photo....
    The deep water didn't just empty all of its fish out onto the beach. Commercial season opened today and they were picking up some out where the sport boats have been catching. With their 27" minimum size they were throwing back quite a few. Here's a deep water report from Brad Stompe:"USA Fishing reported that the party boats limited by 8:30 yesterday morning in 180' of water.  Today the bite was slower.  We started in 200' with a lot of krill showing at 100 - 150' and picked up three shakers and one just over legal limit.  Moved out to 280' and picked up another at 150' on the wire that went 11 lbs.  Caught the devil fish (another 22 incher) in 300' of water 170' down on the wire.  Done by 1 PM.  
I'm all business on the boat and never think about pictures until it's too late.  I had my 82 year old dad with me cranking manual down-riggers all day and he can't wait to get back out and do it again.
Thanks for posting your blog, I read it frequently and enjoy your commentary" Thanks for your report, Brad. While I would like to go out very day and find the fish, reality (and my wife) says I can't. Sharing a successful (or unsuccessful, really) trip with the rest of us helps everyone out.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi willy, we had a great four days at your place. It took a huge 13 inch or bigger fat jack smelt single hook through the lip, was going for something big, guess it worked.

Scott

Jake said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jake said...

Heading out this morning. Considering launching at Bodega for Salmon or Lawson for Halibut. We really would like to do both but I am a little nervous about negotiating the Tomales entrance. I have fished both areas before but never both in the same day. Since its a 2.5 hour drive each way, I would like to target both species. Any suggestions? Relatively experienced operator with an 18.5ft hewescraft if that helps.

Jake

Willy Vogler said...

The Tomales entrance is as safe as it gets today as there is very little swell. You could probably find both species in 30 feet of water on almost any beach, now that the water temp is warmed up.

Jake said...

Willy, thanks. Just got on the water. Headed out to some deep water. Will report back. Water conditions are beautiful. What's the main Coms channel out here?