Wednesday, August 16, 2017

    Here's a nice striper from last weekend. Stuart Johnson picked up this 25 pounder around 5:00 PM on Saturday between Hog Island and Pelican Point.

     This 15 pound striper was caught yesterday, a little south of Hog and nearer to the houses along the east side.

    Petaluma Newbie sent in this report:" I fished this afternoon (Monday 8/14) south of Hog Island. I had a bunch of trays of frozen anchovies leftover from all of my very unsuccessful salmon & halibut trips this summer so I figured I'd head out today and try to clear some room in the freezer. I started off trolling for about an hour and a half with no luck. I got tired of having to drive so I switched over to drifting the dead bait. I hooked this one about 20 minutes into the drift about a mile and a half south of hog. It's a not huge 25" but it is my first keeper halibut. I fished a couple more hours with no action at all. One bite, one fish. Better than getting skunked again." Tastes better, too. There was a lot of that hot skunk action going on today. They say that the southeast wind makes the fish not bite and there may be something to it, as the wind came from the south and east most of the day. The ocean water was cold and clear with no bait found in close but some out in 160 feet or more of water. Now to find the salmon. 

No comments: