Sunday, August 27, 2017

     The 6th Annual Merle Lawson Salmon Derby was held yesterday, a day in which the salmon decided that they weren't hungry. 41 fishermen ended up catching a total of three salmon. 1st place, with a 13 pound hog, was Rich Chapin, who didn't stick around long enough for a photo but did show up to collect his $1000.00 prize money.
     2nd place was taken by Greg Gartrell, with this 10.5 pound slug. It was good for $650.00.

    3rd place and $400.00 went to Herman Rinkel with this 9 pound toad. Thanks to everybody that came out to fish. Next year we'll see if we can arrange some fish to go with the derby.

    Richard Baratta sent over this report from the river:"Hey Willy
I was bummed I had to miss the salmon derby today but I still got my salmon on the Sacramento River. Hope you all had a real party over on the coast." The party was all you missed, Richard. Looks like I should have gone fishing with you.

    A little bird told me that the halibut were on the bite in the bay again. Wait, it wasn't a little bird, it was Don Mosby and David Gonzales. Big fish weighed 22 pounds. All the fish had spots when they landed them, which may mean there's a fresh batch of halibut coming into the bay. 

5 comments:

ab fish said...

Well I would have taken first and second today. Double headedr 27 pounder and 25" 35ft rsk chovie. Boxed another dink 23" and lost a 20 pounder at the boat. Better day than I thought it was going to be. Pink meat. Hogs around!!

rokefin said...

You did much better than 99% of us. I had my worst 2 days of fishing in a couple years, not one take down. rsk chovie at 35 ft and also worked the bottom on the 60 to 80 foot water line.....nodda

sonomagerman said...

Has anyone heard any word on the albies yet? Waters looking good.

Willy Vogler said...

I haven't heard of any catching. There was a bit of looking but no finding. Closest confirmed albacore are 90ish nautical miles. Might be some at 70. My round trip for searching was 105 and burned 42 gallons. 70 one way seems......far. Probably too far. I'll probably still try if there's a window, but it needs to be a hell of a window.

sonomagerman said...

Yeah that's a bit of a trek. Thanks Willy. Here's hoping they pop up a lil closer than that this coming month