Sunday, July 16, 2017

    

    The water wasn't the nicest yesterday but quite a few boats got out to chase and catch salmon. Most of the catching took place between the 38º 14' and 38º 16' lines in 220 to 240 feet of water. These pictures are from the Predator's catch yesterday.
    
     Today Steve Towne (and most of the fishermen that launched) went toward Hog instead of the open sea. Mr. Towne caught a keeper halibut and this 25 pound striper, both near the weather buoy. I guess Steve just couldn't let that little kid have the big striper title.


    Speaking of not being able to keep the big striper title, Bryce Andersen sent in this report from yesterday:"Started the day 6:00 at Nick Cove ramp while waiting on the water for my friends to show up. My GPS stopped working, we were heading out for salmon that I am glad it stopped working at the ramp, the fog was bad. Loaded up my friends waited till the fog lifted, started catching some Jack Smelt. We picked up the Striper in front of Hog Island. Overall it was a great day on the water “Life is Good”.

Boat’s name “Slickspot”  SOC member
Skipper: Bryce Andersen  
Lucky fisherman: Rick Carpenter
Final weight at the dock 29lbs"
   These are some nice striper photos, but I'm ready for some white sea bass shots, preferably with me in them, but if not your photos will do.

5 comments:

Capn Al said...

Regarding the Salmon Lat & LON, I'm sure you mean 38 14 N, 123 16 . Not 38 14 an 38 16?

Al

Tomales Outlaw said...

Tried our best on Friday to catch bait. Tried every trick we know and could only boat 3 smelt. Same story the week before. We usually make about 2 dozen baits on 30 min or so. I'm thinking there is not much bait in the bay currently.

Outlaw

Willy Vogler said...

I meant between the 14 and 16 lines. Changed the wording in the post. Better, I hope? And for bait, try closer to the mouth of the bay, perhaps. On Thursday we ran into a huge school spilling over the bar on the outgoing with birds pounding them and marking stripers under them. We caught a bunch of smelt in a short time. I think the smelt were eating the sub-pinhead anchovies. Sent Ed Parsons out the next day to see if what I thought were stripers were actually stripers. SPOILER - they were. Also, in cove across from Number 5 marker the bait was flipping when we passed by it, three hours apart.

Tomales Outlaw said...

Roger that.

Outlaw

Willy Vogler said...

I should also add that the pier has had a steady supply of shiner perch when the current is slow. They may not be as good a bait as jacksmelt (some say..) but they are way better than no bait.