Monday, August 22, 2016

     Jake Showaker couldn't make it out fishing this weekend, so "Local Legend" Gerard had to catch all the fish. These were caught "off of a beach" on "bait" while "trolling." The only physical clue I got as to his actual whereabouts was the it seemed like there was a lot of jellyfish slime on his boat. At least, I think that's what it was....
     Other people caught salmon as well, from Tomales Point down onto Ten Mile, from 25 to 140 feet of water. The baitfish schools seemed to be most prevalent around 80 to 100 feet of water and the salmon tended to be near the bottom. Now, I sell gear, so I always say the fish are at the bottom, but really, this time they are.
     On the crab front, the red crab testing has continued and the results stink. My prediction: No red crab here this year, and they may close it in some open areas that have reopened. They haven't tested Dungeness yet, but I am suddenly nervous after watching the red crabs' numbers surge from one of six crabs one part per million over the limit to four of six crabs up to 290 parts per million over the limit in about six weeks. They aren't testing the crabs here, and our water has been colder than where they're testing, but still, I sense very bad things......

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Willy, how r the seas for a 14 ft valco, want to try and get my first salmon. Thinking about coming out wed.

-scott from auburn

Patrisage said...

Tomales point forecast: http://marine.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=38.24788726821096&lon=-123.02490234375#.V7u0m5MrKHo

Anonymous said...

Been watching the reports. Nothing beats eyes on though

rokefin said...

Hey, don't tell people Jake wasn't here this past weekend - I told everybody I out fished Jake;)

Anonymous said...

Nice legs Gerard!!!

Tomales Outlaw said...

I used to fish a 14 foot Klamath. I never too it out the mouth, and never would. A 14 foot aluminum is not an ocean boat when fishing out of Tomales. Eyes on is great, but the conditions on the bar can turn on you very quickly.The bar can be calm at 6AM, then turn to breaking 6 footers at 10AM when youre trying to get back in, and worsen from there. If you really want a salmon book one of the 6 packs out of Bodega.

Outlaw

Anonymous said...

Thanks T.O.

Appreciate the input, most likely will just stick in the bay and chase some butt's.
At least I pulled the trigger to go fishing, will be leaving Auburn at 2:45 am tomorrow. UGH


-scott

Richard said...

Scott
I have been out in my 14 Klamath about ten times no further then bird rock. 8 times it was ok 2 times I surf the waves to get back in. If the water looks good u can just go as far as the last buoy that way u can make a quick run back if the water changes. Oh and don't look down keep your eyes on the water.
Black flag

Anonymous said...

Yea, I was thinking right around bird rock, If no salmon, would love to get a ling, have not caught any of those yet.