Wednesday, August 17, 2016

     "Jigger" John Rosasco of Stockton caught this 22 pound halibut in Tomales Bay today. Despite his nickname, the fish bit a live jacksmelt. He and Frank Green had three halibut for the day. Most of the bay fishermen did not do as well.


     There were probably as many salmon caught today as halibut, which is a long way of saying there weren't many salmon caught, either. Some were caught, though, as shown in these pictures. The bite, such as it was, was scattered in little pockets. Should you be lucky enough to get a salmon bite you should tack back through the area of the bite immediately, if not sooner. These little groups of fish are on the bite for 10 or 20 minutes and if you find such a group you need to capitalize on it as fast as you can. As my dear, departed grandfather used to tell me, "Get those lines back in the water! We came here to fish!" 

       Joe Gantley picked up one of those leopard sharks last weekend as well. Now I, personally, don't really care for the taste of shark. For me, they have a kind of strange aftertaste, like the first time I tried a diet soda. That said, before the aftertaste it wasn't too bad, so long as the proper measures had been taken. I'm not sure that it's true, but it is my understanding that sharks urinate through their skin and care should be taken to gut them, chill them, and get them out of their skin (once ashore) if you want to eat them. Thresher shark meat used to sell for the same price as swordfish in the market, so somebody likes them pretty well.

1 comment:

ab fish said...

My buddy just put a 20 in the box. Purple haze! Slow day 50 ft. Mid 10mile I'm going north tomorrow