Friday, July 8, 2016

     These two gentlemen caught halibut by Hog Island yesterday. The fish on the left preferred sardines, but the fish on the right liked a live shiner. Anchovies, jacksmelt and mackerel have all had their fans among the flatfish this week. Anchovies have probably been the hardest to catch with (not the hardest to catch- that prize goes to the sardines) as the bay is practically anchovy soup by the weather buoy. It is hard to make your anchovy special when he is surrounded by 10 million of his closest friends. Not a lot of big fish counts from around Hog, mostly 0 to 2. The Bond family caught the 2 from a rental boat from the Landing. Salmon are supposedly out there waiting for us the weather has not been as nice as one would hope for. All crab, for those that haven't heard, are closed. Testing continues on the reds and they may reopen in the next month or so, by the way the results look. There's still a few stripers in the surf if you can get one to stick to your hooks. I heard from a couple of guys today that had a few seconds of excitement but no fish dinner.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you Lawson family for another great vacation this year. The Bonds family had a pretty good fishing trip this year. We were able to bring in 3 halibut. See you guys in November for Thanksgiving.

Willy Vogler said...

I'm going to have to work harder at this fishing if catching three halibut is pretty good. I though you guys knocked 'em. Of course, I only had one in the boat, so from where I'm standing, you did knock 'em.

Buzzards Luck said...

My first time here. Fish alot outside of tomales but it looks like I will have to fish inside the bay this time. Wind just isnt our friend. I love the humor in the posts on this site.

Buzzards Luck said...

My first time here. Fish alot outside of tomales but it looks like I will have to fish inside the bay this time. Wind just isnt our friend. I love the humor in the posts on this site.