Tuesday, July 26, 2016

     Wayne Purdy of Lodi caught this nice 16 pound halibut in the bay today. 

     I didn't get this fella's name (my bad) but he told me that he caught six halibut just South of Hog Island in the last two days, five on frozen anchovies and one on a live pinhead anchovy. He also released a thresher shark. He said he was fishing in the schools of anchovies. My recommendations to the rest of you that wish to catch halibut: Do that. Be like this man.
     The salmon bit for most fishermen again today. The water was nicer and allowed a bit more distance to be fished. Salmon were taken from Tomales Point all the way down to below Elephant Rock, again mostly between 180 and 200 feet of water. Don't just drop in somewhere unless you see bait on the meter or birds working. Successful depths ran from 40 to 100 feet down but again, mostly depends on where your schools of bait are located. Bait and junk are both working, especially the Apexes.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Have there been any halibut off of the bar yet?

Matt Van Sickle said...

good meeting ya Willy! thanks for posting my picture!

Willy Vogler said...

No halibut from the bar that I have heard of. Nobody really looking, either. The water is still pretty cold, but if the weather forecast holds there will be 'butts on the bar in a week or less. And thanks for coming out and getting me a great photo, Matt. I'll always post the good ones. Usually the not so good, too.