Thursday, October 29, 2015

UPDATED 10/30: The State is doing a few more tests before the season is open or closed for sure. They have until Monday or Tuesday to make a difficult decision and they will probably use all he time they have available. It does seem, however, that if there is concern over the safety of crab then they maybe ought to close the reds, since people do eat those, too.
Dungeness season is around the corner and the warm water conditions this year have affected them as well. A plankton bloom has produced something called domoic acid which doesn't affect fish and invertebrates but can kill warm-blooded animals like seals, birds and us. A mild case of poisoning causes a case of weeklong "intestinal distress", medium poisoning can give you a permanent loss of short-term memory, and a bad case kills you. That said, the testing that has taken place puts the Dungeness in this area barely in the OK column. The rules are that if half or less of the crabs test below the danger level then they are OK. Half of the crabs tested from the Bodega Bay area tested slightly above the level and half were slightly below. That wind that blew this past summer and frustrated a lot of fishermen kept the water cool enough to prevent a worse case, at least. FYI, the domoic acid tends to concentrate more in the crab's guts, so you folks that like to eat the "butter" maybe better pass on it this year. Try real butter; it's better for you. How often are you going to hear that? There is still some of the toxin in the meat, though, so don't think this makes them safe. It may reduce your exposure, I usually clean my crab before cooking them and I think that I will continue to do that. The red crab are eating a lot of the same things as the Dungeness, and lots of people have been eating the reds, as far as I know without injury, so it seems like the Dungeness should be OK. The season will open but with an asterisk from the Department of Public Health.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, I am assuming that boiling the crabs for 15 to 20 min do not kill the poison?
I have been eating red's all summer from there and no real problems. This is scary, not sure what to do.

-Scott, from Auburn

Landing team said...

Boiling doesn't touch it. Just don't eat a pile of it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this info. I really appreciate the updates.
Scott McMorrow - Inverness

ab fish said...

well that's gonna suck lot we have a big party planned might mean a trip to San Diego is in order I don't hear anything about lobster. When I mentioned this to a friend that use to guide in Alaska he told me that these Bluefin tuna have tested positive for Radiation from FUkishima. HMM? WTF

If I smoke pot I'll be allright since I already have permanent short term memory loss. LOL.

Willy Vogler said...

Yes, the bluefin tested positive for Fukushima radiation but not very much of it. Actually, the initial press release was bragging about how the new test process could detect such a minimal amount. There's more radiation in a banana. Did you know that a person has enough naturally occurring radiation in their body that you increase your exposure by sleeping in the same bed as someone else? My concern is the mercury; that's what's eating my memory. That and beer.

Harvest Time said...

Ya they say memory is the 2nd thing to go...

Willy Vogler said...

Forget the first one?

Aaron said...

I too wanted to thank you for all the information you supply on your blog. Always nice to get the updates. Thanks.

Harvest Time said...

'zactly

Harvest Time said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Hey Willy, Thanks for the good info. Planning on throwing out a couple pots for the opener. Do you think we'll know anything more by then? I guess we'll bug you at the landing for some info. Thanks again!

Willy Vogler said...

The word should make the papers/TV by Tuesday evening/Wednesday morning. I may mention something on here as well.

ab fish said...

Man the wait is killing me! Gonna keep getting prepared like its gonna happen. We are still planning to PARTY at westside regardless. Got my BEER/BOWL ready to celebrate should the good word come through! All we can do is wait I guess. The worst part of fishing! The Wait! LOL