Friday, August 14, 2015

So on my day off I went fishing for white sea bass. I caught a bunch of squid, fished the squid spawn areas, did many of the things they say you should do when fishing for white sea bass. Result: I finally went out and caught rockfish for dinner. In the meantime, 
    Don Mosby caught this 56 pound sea bass behind Hog Island on a live jacksmelt. He also caught three halibut. He was down to the spool on the initial run, thumbed it, and the fish turned around instead of snapping him off.

    Ed Parsons caught this 45 pound sea bass on the bar while jigging for halibut yesterday evening. Again, while not fishing for sea bass. I am officially not fishing for white sea bass any more.
    Salmon was slow again for most fishermen but there were still a few caught, mostly near the Trees. At least one fisherman limited on salmon while mooching just south of there in 75-85 feet of water. It seems like the salmon are moving through in small schools and if you find one you will catch. Mostly, you don't. Halibut were caught back by Hog in the bay and out in 60 to 90 feet of water in the ocean. If you like eating mackerel happiness awaits you at the Keyholes. 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like I will have to re-think my halibut gear, LOL I only have 20lb test line, ha, ha
-Scott
From Auburn

Patrisage said...

I may be wrong, but I believe DFG closed the Pacific Halibut season yesterday...

Willy Vogler said...

Yes they did. California halibut are still open, and the next Pacific halibut I lay eyes on will be my first. They exist here, but not too many. California halibut make up 99% or better of the state's halibut catch.

Patrisage said...

Good to know! Was confused about which was which; the DFG website has the same picture for both species!
Actually caught a Pacific Halibut about a month ago at McLures; thought it was the biggest starry flounder I'd ever seen until I found a pic online. Should have snapped a pic!

Anonymous said...

Would a tracker v16 be able to go out for rockfish if launched at lausons?

Willy Vogler said...

Depends on the weather. On the right day, with a calm head, yes. You wouldn't want to go south and get stuck downwind if the west wind came up, nor would you want to chance a large swell.