Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Of the two boats that left from here yesterday, one did well on rockfish and the other caught a 12 pound salmon in 77 feet of water off the north end of Ten Mile on a purple haze hootchie. Kurt Monser sent in this report from yesterday: "Today June 1st I pulled in 2 king Salmon 17# & 20# mooching with herring at McClures Beach in 30' of water... Then pulled in a 28# Halibut just north of there just south of Bird rock. Epic day all around." That's a pretty good report, I'd say. For your bad report, my cousin, a commercial fisherman, caught few salmon while fishing south by Pigeon Point, but did catch two California lizardfish, something he'd not seen before in his 30+ years of fishing. He's taking it as a bad omen for the season. Also a bad omen, the salmon were eating those little blue jellyfish, the "by-the-wind-sailors," which are probably low on a salmon's list of favorite foods. I think I like Kurt's report better for my omen.

No comments: