Monday, August 25, 2014

The crew of the Fish Raider 3 clobbered the salmon on Saturday. They were trolling between the Trees and McClure's Beach in about 70 to 80 feet of water, at least when I saw them. 




These are also Saturday fish. Left to right, bottom photo is Wyatt Zanardi, Wade Amaral and Travis Amaral. The south wind made it difficult to troll and and even more difficult to (successfully) mooch, but most of the boats found salmon in the usual places. There were even a few more halibut caught out in 80 feet of water off McClure's.

Also on Saturday was the 3rd Annual Merle Lawson Memorial Salmon Derby. Third place went to Travis Amaral who caught this 23 pound salmon and won $700. He was trolling south of the Trees.

Second place was Tom Brodsky with a 24.5 pound salmon for $1200. He mooched and trolled for his fish.

First place and $1750 went to Brent Johnson and his troll-caught (on a purple haze hootchy?) 28 pounder. A special prize was also awarded to Tom Brodsky for taking Gage fishing more than I did this summer. Thanks to everyone that came out and fished and to everyone that came out with great food to the potluck after. Also, thanks to the Save Lawson's Landing group for donating $900.00 towards the prize purses. And thanks to the staff here for putting up with more work while I went fishing.


2 comments:

ken said...

I would like to thank you for all the work you put in. I enjoy your fishing reports daily. I anxiously await the Halibut reports, water temp's and bait fish reports. Again thanks for all you do! Ken Loomis, Novato

Anonymous said...

I agree with Ken. I anxiously check your report 3 times a day looking and hoping for some excitement. Thanks for posting great detailed info and pictures. We all enjoy it. Living slightly out of range to fish more than twice I week, I envy you lucky guys who hit it everyday. Thanks for makin the rest of us feel like we're not out of the loop. Great job Willy. We used to have a permanent trailer down at Lawson's and boy do I miss those days!! Your report is top notch, and the slight humor makes it even better. A report from a salt to other salts. Sure beats anything else on the internet. Keep up the solid work!! Thanks again. I'll send some pictures your way as we'll, despite the jealously caused.

Keep the lines tight and the decks bloody

-Scott