Saturday, January 4, 2014

The pier has had a very few crab for the very lucky and the very skilled. Randy, being both, caught crab every day of his stay but was only catching one to six Dungeness per day, three being the average. For us mere mortals it is very tough to get one. Even in the bay from a boat it's slow. This report came in from the Tomales Outlaw :"Marker 5 hole is dismal. 3 Dungeness on New Years Day for 2 soaks with a 5 pot string. Last of the incoming and beginning of the out going. Good number of reds though. This is the least amount of crab I have caught in 3 seasons out there. Next push of crab should come in sometime next month, if trends are similar to years past. Happy New Years Lawsons Gang." Not the happiest report, but it is true that more crab should be coming in, starting in February and really peaking around the end of the season if anything like the normal flow of things comes to pass. Rockfish is now closed until June 1. Sanddabs or squid, anyone? There's a few surfperch and conditions are right for stripers in the surf but I haven't heard of any. Conditions are also right for leopards in the shallows on the incoming tides. I'm off to stock up on tackle at my yearly tackle show. Any tips on gear I should stock in the store for next year?

5 comments:

Tomales Outlaw said...

I have always found whatever I needed for the day at your shop. I say keep up the good work.

Outlaw

Richard said...

Hey willy

Could you tell me if a hand held VHF radio will work ok outside the bay.
Thanks
Richard

Richard said...

Hey willy

Could you tell me if a hand held VHF radio will work ok outside the bay.
Thanks
Richard

Willy Vogler said...

It's all a matter of who you're trying to call. Range is limited to 5 miles or so.

Anonymous said...

Clam tubes would be great! Please and thanks!